Wednesday 8 October 2014

Dictionary Page Card

Paper cut dictionary page message card
I missed the birthday of a friend the other day so I wanted to make a card that was a little bit different to make it up to her.
At the same time my daughter was having a big clear out of her room and was throwing out her old school pocket dictionary. It was a bit damaged so not suitable for the charity shop but perfect for some papercrafting. I had seen this lovely Rob Ryan cut on pinterest and thought I could try a simple "inspired by" version.
The dictionary is pretty small, the pages are just 4.5" x 3". They are not a great quality paper either which meant I needed to make the paper cutting really basic or risk it tearing. 
So I ripped a page out of the dictionary with "sorry" on it.
Paper cut dictionary page message card
Then I wrote my message on it in pencil.
Paper cut dictionary page message card
Then cut it out with my craft knife. Like I said, I had to be careful as the paper is not much better than newsprint but it was not complicated so only took a few minutes.
Paper cut dictionary page message card
I added a few hearts and flowers too.
Paper cut dictionary page message card
See how the arrow points to the "sorry".
Paper cut dictionary page message card
Then I just stuck it to a 5" square card.
Paper cut dictionary page message card
I finished it off by sticking the hearts I'd cut out on the inside.
I like this idea so much I've done a few more pages to make into more cards.
Paper cut dictionary page message card
Paper cut dictionary page message card
Some words are in awkward places on the page so I've not been able to do all the greetings I had in mind but it is fun to try to think of a good way to write a message.
Paper cut dictionary page message card
Paper cut dictionary page message card
Paper cut dictionary page message card
A bigger dictionary would give more scope for more similar projects, maybe even a picture, so I'll be keeping my eyes open at charity shops for a while. I've also found an old Thesaurus which I've been able to use to make a few more of these cards with.

Whilst I was in a "papercut-y" mood I also had a little go at this cute little person that I had seen by Priyam from Simple Joys ages ago.
Paper cut man hugging his knees
How cute is that? I don't know what to do with him now, he was just another "I made it just to see if I could" thing really! Priyam didn't give any instructions as he is pretty self explanatory, I did find I had to make his legs a lot longer than I thought I would so he could hug his knees. I also learnt the hard way that light pencil lines are a good idea because you can see the back of the paper when he sits up!
Paper cut man hugging his knees
This shows how big my guy is. His hands are held together with just a tiny dob of glue. Thank you Priyam for the fun idea. Check out Simple Joys for all sorts of ideas and tutorials.

You might also be interested in:
Birdcage Card Ideas
Birdcage Card Ideas
Circle Card Crazy
Circle card Crazy
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Recycled Pen Tub Tutorial
Recycled Pen Tub Tutorial
I'll be linking up this project at these lovely link parties, pop over for a look at loads of projects from other blogs.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

30 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea! Is a craft knife like a razor blade or something? I love this and am pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leilani, I use an X-acto knife that I had for my birthday last year (love craft related pressies) you can see it in a photo about half way down my http://www.sumoftheirstories.com/2014/05/paper-cutting-first-attempts.html post if you are thinking of getting one. Most people seem to agree that the x-acto ones are the best and I'm very happy with mine.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea! Totally love it! I have so many old dictionaries that are falling apart, now I know what to do with them!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I love all these book page crafts I see around the place but could never wilfully destroy a book - but if it's falling apart anyway it seems ok, right?

      Delete
  3. What a fun idea for using dictionary pages! I've seen so many paintings and prints over dictionary pages, but never something that uses the actual words like this. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, is this ever clever and cute!

    Thank you so much for sharing. I'm pinning this!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea, like one of the other comments... I've not seen projects that use the actual "words"...

    I am stopping by from Craft Frenzy Friday where I am linked up too with my Free Pintable - Say Boo Scare On project.

    Hugs,
    Antonella :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just amazing... you are quite good with an xacto knife I must say! I am sure I would have ripped or turn the paper while trying it. At first I thought you used a cricut or something. What a great idea, I will have to remember this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie, the knife does have to be good and sharp and you have to go slow as the paper is terrible quality, but it wasn't too difficult. There's not much room of the page to make it complicated!

      Delete
  7. I love this idea! I'm pinning this and will be looking out for a dictionary in the charity shops. This is genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louisa, I'm so glad you like it, they were lots of fun to do.

      Delete
  8. SUPER cute!! I would love if you come link up tomorrow on the Monday party!
    Xo
    Isabelle
    www.lechateaudesfleurs.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous way of using the dictionary pages and I love the little sitting man Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very cute isn't he, but I still haven't found a brilliant use for him yet!

      Delete
  10. What a unique idea, and all of your cards look great

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good idea for the cards. It would be quite fun to come up with some terrible puns for the pages that don't have more obvious words to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, puns would be great, proper groan worthy ones for just the right recipients!

      Delete
  12. These cards are brilliant. A fantastic idea :) And how simple, but appealing is this little man. I love it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a former English major, I'm in love with this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is super cute!! I'll try this brilliant idea of diy card, but your cute little person cut is what I've been thinking to try myself. I just think I need a little more inspiration, and this one is perfect! I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute idea, and I love the use of the words in the dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How extraordinarily clever! Must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a genius idea with the cards! The little guy is so cool too but I can't think of what to do with it either. I bet you will come up with something great though. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it, so many uses from a few old pages of a book. Sorry it has taken so long to get here. I went out of town then came home and have been in bed sick and hoping to kick this soon. Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. G'day! Love this idea which I saw via Lewis Lane Designs!
    Cheers! Joanne @ What's On The List
    Hope you and your friends hop over for our #SayGdayParty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea, love these cards :)

    Thanks for linking up #weekendbloghop

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a great idea! Love, love, love this. So cleaver! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time.
    Emily & Erin

    ReplyDelete
  22. How clever and creative! I am pinning and sharing this. The cards make great use of old dictionaries. Thank you for sharing this at Make It Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those dictionary page cards are fabulous!! Great idea. Thanks for sharing at On Display Thursday!
    -Leia @ Eat It & Say Yum

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.