Saturday 25 October 2014

Flowery Letter Birthday Card

Tutorial for initial birthday card
This is my last post (for now anyway) about the contents of my Crafty What Nots box. You can read all about the box, what's in it and how to get one here.

Surely anyone who enjoys any sort papercraft is bound to have a whole heap of little bits. Too good to throw away but kind of tiny to make anything with. I had these sort of bits left.
It's my niece Anya's Birthday soon so I thought I could get all ahead of myself and make a pretty card for her with her initial.

I used:
a 6" square card blank
A piece of scrap cardboard about 6" square - not too thick
Scraps of pretty paper
Foam pads
Bakers twine
2 buttons
2 die cut paper flowers 
Everything except the card blank was from the Craft What Nots box

First I drew a big chunky A on the scrap cardboard
Then I held it up to the window and drew it on the back of the card as well. This just made it easier to cut out later.
Then I just started glueing paper strips over my A.
When I finished it looked like this.
I turned it over and cut it out with scissors.

When I got to this point I had to switch and use my craft knife to finish off.
I attached it to the card blank with the foam pads. Then I tied a length of bakers twine round the card and threaded buttons on each end.
I slid the pink button up so they hang at different lengths and then trimmed the twine off close and fixed it with a blob of pva.
I fixed the two dies cut flowers to the buttons whilst the pva was still wet.
button and flower trim

Ta Dah!
Tutorial for initial birthday card
Tutorial for initial birthday card

Easy, pretty and it's another one of those "options are almost endless" ideas. Any sort of different papers would give a totally different effect. Most of all though I love saving those scrappy bits from the bin.
You might also be interested in:
Paper Cutting First Attempt
Paper Cutting first attempt
Flower Collage Canvas
Flower Collage Canvas
Washi Tape Berry Baskets
Washi Tape Berry Baskets
Flowery Papercrafting
Floral Papercrafting
Linking up at all these lovely link parties
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

28 comments:

  1. Aww, so very pretty and love the colors and pattern you picked for this card. Definitely not this crafty, but made me wish I was, because this really came out perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really simple Janine, if ever you feel like dabbling in something crafty!

      Delete
  2. This is lovely too, I do love a CAS card! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really lovely card !!!
    Thanks for your visit !
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty and Creative work. This is great for me as my name initial is A. But we can customize it in any way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A is a great letter to start a name isn't it ?! J is pretty good too in my opinion!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful card you made for your niece. Receiving a thoughtful card means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative use of the buttons, I must say! I think they would make great Christmas decorations if you made them in a bunting-like manner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a birthday card worth saving! Anyone would be thrilled to received your beautiful card! Love the "A" on the front. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why you like the A then Alli ???! Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  8. so very lovely Julie!
    such pretty papers and your design is so creative, makes me want to look through my scraps now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is impossible to use pretty papers and then throw the little bits away isn't it? I know it's not just me!

      Delete
  9. This is fabulous, so pretty! #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love it! What a great idea! Thank you for joining in with us #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love paper crafting. Sharing, Coming to you from HDH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda, paper really is so easy to use and there are so many gorgeous ones out there.

      Delete
  12. G'day Love this idea! Visiting via Lewis Lane Designs!
    Cheers! Joanne @ What's On The List

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this card:) Thank you for sharing it with us at Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute card! I kind of made something like this while teaching my daughter the letter Q (because it kind of looked like a quilt). However, I never thought to turn it into a card! Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the quilt reference, do you know anyone whose name begins with Q though? Quentin, Queenie, .... I can't think of any more!

      Delete
  15. What a great idea! I could make this w/ my students as a take-home & use the initial of their name. Love it! I scheduled this craft in a Tweet to share on Monday. I'm visiting from the Friday Features Link Up. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be ideal as a group project, everyone can make their own, not too time consuming either.

      Delete
  16. This is adorable! Great way to use up extra scraps of paper--No waste! Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the no waste, I really hate throwing even the tiniest bits of beautiful paper away!

      Delete
  17. So cute! I usually use my little bits to make photo corners but I love this card too! I think I'll try it with some Christmas papers. Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great card that incorporates a quilting feel! Plus my daughter Avalon would love it! Visiting from the Anything Goes party!

    Be Well, The Lady Kay

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.