Tuesday 30 September 2014

Family Memory Game Cards


Personalised card game
 My gorgeous little nephew just turned 2 and I wanted to make something for him as part of his present. He's just starting to say a lot more, trying to get our names right and coming up to the age for learning to sit and play a simple game so I thought I could make him some memory game cards from family photos.
It came out kind of cool (if I do say so myself) so here's what I did if you want to have a go. Let me warn you know there now follows a weird mix of metric and imperial measurement - sorry, I am a UK child of the 70's, what can I say!

You need:
  • A photo of each family member
  • Thick 250 micron A4 laminating pouches
  • Wrapping paper
  • Scissors or a guillotine
  • Corner punch (optional)
I used Picmonkey to get my photos ready. 
  • Open Picmonkey and select Collage
  • Upload two of the photos you want to use
Personalised card game

Change the type of collage by clicking the little symbol on the right
personalised card game

Select "Cards" 5x7 and the one with just 2 photos
Family memory game cards

Rotate the canvas (red arrow) and pull the dividing line to the centre (green arrow)

memory game cards

Then you can just drag and drop your two photos, one in each rectangle. Save and then repeat for the next pair of photos.

I had 4 of each photo printed at a photo place. (I thought it would use too much printer ink at home) They ended up with a white border, not sure why but the photo is 5"x7" so each individual picture is 5"x3.5"
making memory game cards
I cut them out with the guillotine, trimming them so they were all exactly 82mm x 122mm
I rounded the corners with my corner punch. Next I cut the wrapping paper into A4 pieces and layered them in the laminating pouches with the photos spaced out on the plain side.
Then they just rolled through the laminator.
I cut them out, allowing an even border round the photos then rounded the corner again.
Then we had a quick play, just to make sure it worked.

Wooo, it's a pair!
Now I just needed a cute box for him to keep them in. I had a sturdy little box from Ikea, the smallest of a nesting set with a twirly design on the lid. (no before photo sorry, don't know what happened there)
I painted the lid with black paint
painting lid
box for card game
Then added some writing with a tipex pen
Box for memory game cards

There are 9 in Luke's family and 5 of us so that's 14 people, and I made 4 of each card. 56 cards is plenty. I thought only 2 of each might make the game too hard to play. If you have less people in the family you could have Grandparents, Aunts & Uncles, Cousins etc. 
Don't try to use card instead of wrapping paper, if it's too thick you end up with an air gap all round the photos when they are laminated. I don't think they would last as well.

Personalised memory game cards

Luke's big sisters have had lots of fun playing with the cards and promise to teach him to play the memory game once he is a little bit older.
personalised memory game cards
These cards can also be used for simple matching up and grouping games, something like "Find Auntie Julie?", Snap and other things I've not even thought of.
personalised memory game cards
I wondered about doing Domino Cards too but that will only work for 6 people. Unless people doubled up in the photos, humm, maybe next time...

This post is part of a Blog Hop/Series with 14 other amazing Bloggers all sharing lovely Gift ideas that you can make yourself. The collection has all sorts of ideas suitable for all sorts of potential recipients so have a little browse though and see if you are inspired to make a gift or two this year. 
Just click on the links below to see tutorials on how to make these other great gift ideas.





Hand Painted Recipe Box - Anderson and Grant

Bah Humbug Disclaimer: Normally I would be bemoaning that fact it is far too early for anything Christmas related but if you want to make gifts you probably do need to start thinking about it, gathering supplies, making a start - sorry!

You might also be interested in:
Patchwork Gift Box
Patchwork Gift Box
Circle card Crazy
Circle card Crazy
Personalised Wedding Picture
Personalised Wedding Picture
Wallpaper Birthday Banner
Wallpaper Birthday Banner
I'll be linking up this project at all these lovely link parties


Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

43 comments:

  1. we have an online farm memory game on our website. I love the idea of making your own with family faces. Popping by from Tuesday Tutorial Pin Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, and one that has so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thanks and yes, it's a pretty versatile idea isn't it? I think the kids will come up with games to play with them that I've not even thought of too.

      Delete
  3. SUCH a fun idea! My little guy would LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just a nice thing to say. I hope you get chance to give it a go.

      Delete
  4. This is so great! I think I need to make these for my nephew! Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leilani, I hope you give them a try. It takes a bit of time to get the photos ready but nothing complicated.

      Delete
  5. Looks like fun! Pinning to try!
    -Michelle @TheGraciousWife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great way to get kids to know family members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Havalah, my boys do look quite alike at first glance so I guess this helps him tell them apart!

      Delete
  7. This is a great idea. I love playing matching games with the children. #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so fun and cute! My 2 year old LOVES matching games, what a great way to make it personal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany, I think games where little ones learn to sit down, take turns etc are always a great learning experience, and fun too!

      Delete
  9. How fun! My little one is at the age where she too likes to look at people and try to remember their names. This would be such a fun gift!
    -Shonee
    www.hawthorneandmain.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shonee, As long as you have a laminator it is really straightforward. At a push I guess you could use clear sticky backed plastic.

      Delete
  10. What a sweet gift idea! I would have never though to make a memory game with family photos - so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a neat idea! I love it! :)

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great gift idea to make. This was always a fun game to play, and you made it so personal. I love that you thought of what kids would enjoy when you created the project for our blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, There is actually a lovely mix of gifts for different people isn't there? It's been a pleasure to be involved.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Ooo, thanks, I might have to tell the kids someone said I'm pretty cool! Oh wait, you mean the cards, not me - never mind, close enough!

      Delete
  14. Oh, this is a fantastic idea! I like the idea of making this as a gift for a child. Stopping by from the Pint It Party, I am definitely pinning this for later!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute! I could probably use this to help my kids remember lots of things. Thanks for the tip and for sharing this with us at the Creative Style Linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant idea. Wish I'd thought of that when my kids were young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha, yes I never thought of this for my own kids, lucky for me I have little nieces and nephews to try out my "little kids" ideas!

      Delete
  17. Great idea. i love the idea of using family members! We have them all around the country

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a great idea, I have been considering something similar for my monster, but adding people's names to them to help her on the road to reading too. I'm sure Luke will adore his game - and perfect for learning people's names too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lucy, I think adding names is such a good idea, Picmonkey will be able to do that too. Now why didn't I think of that.....!

      Delete
  19. Adore this idea. What a great way to recognise family/friends. I'm sure it will get loads of use.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really good idea for a memory game. Did you add each person's name as well?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is awesome. So glad I saw your post over at Merry Monday. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Memory games are great, I love the chunky look to these and the laminate will help them last a long time. The box is a great way to store them.
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great game idea! Love this and you are right, there are just so many options on how to play with these cards. Great tute as well. Also, surprise! This post will be featured at this Friday's Ultimate Pin Party - hope you make it over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'll definitely pop by, what an honour.

      Delete
  24. This is delightful. I am our family historian and I think you've hit upon a great way to use family history in a fun format. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a creative idea! I would love to make this game for my kiddos since a lot of our family lives far away from us. It would be a great way to help them remember everyone. :) Excellent tutorial, too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a great idea for a game especially if family is all over the world!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.