Tuesday 21 October 2014

Flower Collage Canvas

It's really easy to collage over an old canvas and make a completely new piece of art work with just some pretty papers, glue, paint and a fine liner pen.
Floral collage tutorial

Here is a bit of a follow up post, sharing something else I've made with the contents of my Craft What Nots box. You can read full details about the subscription boxes and see the other things I've made from it here.
The floral papers I had were just SO pretty I thought they would make a lovely flower collage.
I started with this canvas I bought for 25p in a discount shop a few months ago. The plastic wrap had broken and somehow pen has got all over the corner so they were marked right down. I actually bought several so I guess you may see them again sometime.
If you think this is nicer than my flower collage please keep it to yourself! I started by painting over the bunny, puppy and pen marks. I just used white emulsion as that's what we had. This is what happened:
The pen just showed up more! I ended up giving it 3 coats and then gave up, you'll see in a minute.

Whilst I was waiting for the coats to dry on the canvas I cut out some petals from the floral paper. I just drew a template on scrap paper of a simple petal shape and then cut out 8 petals.
I used my 2" circle punch to make a flower centre too.

To give the petal shape some emphasis I doodled a wiggly border with a black sharpie.
Round once, then round again. The trick is to be decisive and not mess about too much. Practice on scrap paper first if you are not confident.

I also punched out a load of hearts and flowers to go with the die cuts from the Crafty What Nots box.

When the canvas was covered-ish and dry I started sticking a few flowers and hearts down with Mod Podge.
I had an idea of where the flower was going to go so I concentrated on the edges, the bits where I knew the petals wouldn't be so much. I also wanted to make sure the pen marks and cute little animals were all covered. (Can you see them still peeking through faintly!)
I wanted some of the flowers to go over the edges onto the sides of the canvas. I found it easier to crease these before applying them as the thicker papers made them a little bit resistant to my idea. They needed plenty of glue and some encouragement.
Feeling a bit inspired by the fact that the white paint had not covered very well, I thought I would create some layers by painting over this lot with just one more layer of white. I was hoping the floral paper would still show through a little, like the bunny/puppy who were refusing to go quietly. So I roughly painted another layer over the whole thing.
It balanced nicely on a jam jar when painted, so the edges didn't stick to the scrap card I put down.
I everso slightly panicked when it was wet....
but as it dried it faded a bit and all was well.

Next I Mod Podged the petals in place and added some more little flowers, hearts etc.
Some I poked under the petals before they stuck down firmly.
I just kept going until I thought there was enough.

Making a flowery collage
Clearly at this point I decided it wasn't quite fussy, pretty, frilly enough so I added just a little bit more Sharpie doodle.
Doodles on a flower collage canvas
Just a twirl, swirl, flower, dot or heart here and there as took my fancy.
Flower Collage Canvas
Lastly the whole thing got another coat of Mod Podge to seal.
Then it was finished - or was it?
I took one of the lovely little plywood Butterflies from the Crafty What Nots box and inked it with the blue ink pad.
Floral collage tutorial
I coloured the edges with a black felt pen and used the Sharpie to give it a few dotty details.
Floral collage tutorial
The idea was that it would add another layer and more texture to the canvas. 
I don't know whether I prefer it with or without. What do you think?
Floral collage tutorial

Floral collage tutorial
Floral collage tutorial
You might also be interested in:
Personalised Wedding Picture
Personalised Wedding Picture
Dotty Card Tutorial
Dotty Card Tutorial
Flowery Papercrafting
Flowery Papercrafting
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
I'll be linking up this project at all these lovely link parties, pop over for a look at loads of projects from other blogs

Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

40 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Stunning canvas and without a doubt better than the original! Love your use paint on the background xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, you don'e prefer cute little bunny and puppies photos embellished with a little biro then? Phew!

      Delete
  2. It looks pretty with and without!
    But for my bias for beautiful butterflies, I'd say put it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love butterflies too, and I liked how the inking effect turned out here too.
      That's 1 - 0 for the butterflies!

      Delete
  3. Lovely work, Julie! Love all about it!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, Julie! At first glance I thought you had sewn fabric, but now I know! So there was no need for mod podge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be lovely as a fabric piece with embroidery instead of doodles - great idea!

      Delete
  5. This is gorgeous - you did a great job!
    Thanks for sharing at this week's #Pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a creative fun idea. Thanks for sharing on Tuned in Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is very beautifull and so girly! first time here, stopping by from Lamberts Lately Creative Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great, I love the butterfly but prefer the canvas without. I too thought you had initially sewn it using fabric not paper - amazing!

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up giving this to my daughter with the butterfly separately, so she can decide.
      I do think it would be do-able and lovely in fabric too - maybe one day!

      Delete
  9. Great look - love the idea. Can't wait to try it. Joining from Friday Features Link Party. Stop by and see my latest blog! https://awesomevacationideas.squarespace.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's super cute! I wish I had the time to try crafts like that....well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job and it's cool that you reused a canvas you already had. I love it. I like the light colors and the little butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie, thank you for stopping by to share this weekend on Fridays Feature Linky Party!!! So glad you did your canvas makeover turned out darling and I would imagine much cuter in person. Im following you on FB, Pinterest, Twitter and Bloglovin.

    Hope to see you again soon, have a great weekend, Karren

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely post! I'm visiting from Creative Style link up -
    Thanks for sharing
    Angie
    http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! While I like your picture better than the dog and bunny, I never even considered using something like this as an art project! I'll be keeping a look-out for them from now on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I can't take credit for the idea of reuseing an old canvas though, I saw it on pinterest (not surprisingly!)

      Delete
  15. Wow, I originally thought this was done with fabric. It's really lovely and my lines are just as squiggly as yours! Lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. So lovely and reminds me to think of making some wall art when I can't find exactly what I want. Thanks for linking to the Craftastic Monday party at Sew Can Do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you did a great job! Thanks for the idea to paint over the scrapbook paper!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty! I love all the layers and your wiggly borders. Thanks so much for linking up at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is adorable! I love making my own canvas artwork for my home. Thanks for sharing this with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna, It is nice to have something unique and making your ouw aty doesn't have to be especially complicated. I have a pinterest board where I collect other peoples fab ideas too.

      Delete
  21. Wow, that is so lovely! Very creative.

    Found your blog through today's #SITSBlogging link-up. Glad that I did. Have a wonderful rest of the week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. A fabulous creation, and a huge improvement on the original!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, it was only as I was putting this post together I did think - what if people actually prefer the original!!!

      Delete
  23. So fun! Thanks so much for the great tutorial and linking up to The Wednesday Roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wish I could find some deals on canvas like that! The puppy and bunny are adorable but I like your version better. The texture is awesome. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just fell over then in a shop and thought it would be rude not to take them home - I actually got 3, all damaged like this, I just need to decide what I'm going to do with the other 2.

      Delete
  25. I love it. I prefer it without the butterfly, but maybe that's just me.

    Just for future reference, the stain block paint you get in DIY shops is great for stopping pen marks coming through (tried and tested!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip Wendy, thanks, I'll have to remember that.

      Delete
  26. Hi Julie, your mixed media project is fantastic. It's featured at the Merry Monday Link Party. http://mylittleshopoftreasures.blogspot.ca/2014/11/merry-monday-link-party-27.html#.VFeQzPnF9FI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Darlene, I'll pop over right now to have a look,

      Delete
  27. Great canvas! I love the added white layer over your first set of flowers. It adds so much depth!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's beautiful! What a fun way to salvage a damaged canvas. I like it better without the butterfly. I think the butterfly and large flower compete for attention when they're together. The flower is so pretty - it should be the star!

    Thanks for sharing. Happy Sharefest! I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.