Friday 7 July 2017

Inspired By - Upcycled shirt bags

It's SO easy to make useful little bags from old shirts, perfect for traveling or just at home for containing all the things!
Upcycled shirt bags
Every now and again I see an idea on another site that is just too good not to try. Sure, I pin A LOT of stuff on Pinterest that I may/may not ever get to, but some of those pins do actually get made. 
So I'm starting a new feature here at Sum of their Stories - Inspired by: - so I can share with you the "saw it, pinned it, did it" projects. They won't be long posts with lots of step by step instructions because you'll be using the link to the original inspiration if you want to try them out too. Just a few photos to show how it all went.
Starting this "Inspired by:" feature off is this mind blowingly simple idea from the fabulous Pam at Threading My Way. She called them "Easiest Travel Storage Bags You'll Ever Make" and she's not wrong!

I started with this fabulously red shirt. I have a whole bunch of these, donated to me by my brother when he changed jobs.
Upcycled shirt bags
I was able to get 3 bags from the shirt.
Upcycled shirt bags
I just made various sizes as Pam suggested.

The littlest one has the flap opening the wrong way really but this was the placket opening bit on the sleeve so because of where the seam was it couldn't be helped. I think it'll be fine.
Upcycled shirt bags
These bags didn't use all the shirt, I also managed to get 3 metres of bias binding (with my fab new bias binding gadget) and a few flags for some more bunting that I'm making out of it. 
Upcycled shirt bags
They really are the simplest things to make. Pop over to Threading My Way to see just how easy it is.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

14 comments:

  1. I hope you get as much use from your bags as I have, Julie. I'm honoured to be first in the series and look forward to seeing what you make next. Awesome idea to use the rest of the shirt for bias binding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you approve of my bags Pam!

      Delete
    2. Great minds think alike, Julie. You shared your post almost the same time I shared a post about making tissue pack holders with your tutorial - 42 of them to be exact.

      Delete
    3. Great minds indeed!!! I'm so impressed with all your tissue pouches and how lovely that you found a way to give them to a good cause, I'll have to check out if we have anything similar over here.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. They are turning out to be really handy

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great idea! I have an old shirt with owls that seems to be the best candidate for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, lovely. Yours will be cute as well as useful!

      Delete
  4. I am often given shirts by people. I make shirt skirts and use them for patchwork. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have a few more of these red shirts so I might try a skirt next, good idea thanks.

      Delete
  5. Such a clever idea Julie! I never would have thought to use the natural openings in a shirt to make bags. Bravo to you and to Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, well it's Pam's brilliant idea. I'm just showcasing it really and showing what a simple and brilliant idea it is!

      Delete
  6. I can attest that packing bags are indispensable when travelling. (I also like Threading My Way, too) Thanks for linking up with us at Creatively Crafty #ccbg :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous idea - and what a great way to avoid waste! I love these cute, useful, upcycled shirt bags. Thank you so much for sharing them with us at Hearth and Soul. Hope to see you at the party when we return from holiday break on August 7th!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.