Monday 5 October 2015

Tiny Yellow Table Makeover

This is my first foray into the world of painting furniture.
Spray paint to update an old table
I pin lots of amazing furniture transformations but get a bit overwhelmed with the vast array of paints people use: milk, chalk, latex, oil based, eggshell..... then there is wax and varnish and sealer.... I'm also pinning hints and tips whenever I come across them! I would love to get to grips with it all as I have a few pieces that REALLY need an update.
For now though, I am really happy with this little transformation. 
A friend at work was getting rid of a lot of furniture as they moved house and downsized dramatically. She gave me this little pale yellow table. I guess it's an end table, I'm not sure what else to call it. It's a foot square and happened to be exactly the right size for an awkward little space in our hall.
Perfect height and size but not really the look I was going for. I had the original owners permission - "It's your table now so you can do what you like with it." 
It is not wood, it's a sort of coated MDF material so I thought spray paint would not be inappropriate.
I took off the little scroll bits at the top of the legs, They were just decorative and popped off really easily when I prised then with a screwdriver. 
I then lightly sanded the whole thing and gave it several coats of yellow spray paint.
This one is just an inexpensive multi-purpose gloss paint from B&Q (a massive UK DIY chain) I can't say how many coats as I kind of did it in stages, giving it time to dry then turning it over to do another section. I guess each bit got at least 3 coats in the end.
Easy table makeover with spray paint
The finished table is exactly what I was hoping for, bright, modern and a nice splash of colour in a room which is just a white box otherwise.
old end table makeover with yellow spray paint
The plant is a Prayer Plant and it sort of folds itself up once it gets dark which is pretty cool. It likes a shady spot according to the label and this little corner is bright but not in any direct sunlight so hopefully it will be happy here.
small end table spray paint
We had a simple dark wood framed IKEA mirror from the old house in the hall hanging by the front door.
The mirror was sealed into the frame so I couldn't just take it out to paint. I just covered the mirror over with sheets of scrap paper and decorators tape then gave it several coats of the same spray paint.
Now we just need a new yellow door mat, to paint the old coat stand to match and some art for wall with touches of yellow... why is it sometimes getting a job done creates a load more jobs to do?
For a first furniture makeover I'm really pleased. The yellow is soft but bright and I don't feel like I've wrecked a beautiful antique with a can of spray paint!

You might also be interested in:
Adipose Cushion
Adipose Cushion
Divide and Conquer Drawers
Divide and Conquer Drawers
Plastic Tub Planter
Plastic Tub Planter
Rings and things dishes
Rings and Things Dishes
I'll be linking up to all these great link parties, why not go and have a look!
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

38 comments:

  1. That's lovely! I love that it's tiny and yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Zografia it is both tiny and yellow - I'm so imaginative with my titles sometimes! Glad you like it too!

      Delete
  2. What a cheerful touch to your decor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, yes the yellow is cheerful - that's definitely the best word to describe it.

      Delete
  3. It looks fantastic. All bright and cheery! I love that little table, fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - we were so lucky that it fits so well, another inch and it wouldn't have!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! What a perfect spot for it and I love the plant! Welcome to the paint world!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I'm sure it won't be my last paint job!
      The plant is really cool, I was wondering why it was called a prayer plant then as soon as it got dark it started to "pray".

      Delete
  6. So cute! You wouldn't be able to tell it's your first go at furniture painting! And you've found the perfect little nook for it.
    Stopping by from Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve Jane, I was pleased I didn't mess it up and even more pleased it fits so nicely.

      Delete
  7. Your little table looks great!! Wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keri, I am kind of pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  8. Aww, I love your little yellow table makeover! It IS perfect for that spot! You don't see such beautiful makeovers with spray paint very often, great job!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit nervous as I know people get good finishes on furniture when they take time and care and use fancy paints. This was a good little practice piece for me I think.

      Delete
  9. I love that shade of yellow! Gorgeous piece! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at the Tips & Tricks Linky party last week.... Hope to see you there again this week. The party goes live at 8pm CST.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, on the can the colour looked brighter but it actually turned out the perfect shade of bright but soft, if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  10. Whoo this looks lovely, such a great colour :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, I'm really pleased with it, glad you like it.

      Delete
  11. So bright and cheery on a dull winter day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! I think that Table was just waiting for you so it could continue on in just the perfect little spot!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That tiny table is perfect for that little spot next to the stairs. I love the bright cheery yellow you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such good luck that it fits so well Erlene, glad you like the colour as much as I do.

      Delete
  14. I love the bright yellow you used for this. Isn't spray paint wonderful? Pinned and Tweeted. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Beverly, I know spray paint is not right for everything, but I am happy with how it turned out on this little table.

      Delete
  15. I love the bright and cheerful colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, I have never thought to use yellow much round the house then I was inspired by something on pinterest - I love the yellow with the white, like you say, it;s really cheerful.

      Delete
  16. I love, love, love this little table Julia! I am in a yellow phase :) and this little table is so perfect. You were one of my features this week over at the Bewitchin' Projects Block party at Recreated Designs. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing this little table. Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, So happy that you like it - I'm really loving the splash of brightness this yellow is adding to our hall.

      Delete
  17. What a great project. It seems to have really brightened up the space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a gorgeous little table & wow that colour, I love it! #makinghome
    Oh & that plant sounds interesting never heard of it till now ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy with the colour, it's bright but not garish so it feels really modern.
      The plant was a new one on me too, and it is still pretty healthy so thats a bonus!

      Delete
  19. I love this. Specifically because I plan on creating my desk space with lots of this colour. Thanks for sharing! #MakingHome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your desk space, I'm so happy with our sunny yellow splashes of colour.

      Delete
  20. amazing how it fits perfectly in the space - looks great #makinghome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really lucky eh? It's a snug fit that's for sure but it so nice to be able to have that splash of colour in that otherwise wasted space.

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.