Friday 26 September 2014

Tassel Button Key Ring

How to make a keyring with nylon thread and ombre buttons
This is the 3rd and last of my Button Key Rings. Made with ombre buttons and finished with a tassel. 

To make it you will need:

Synthetic Cord (same stuff that I used for the thread and chain bracelet and the pink cord bracelets)
Buttons in graduating colours
A metal ring (not photographed)
Cut two lengths of cord approx 12" or 30cm, seal the ends either with nail varnish or a flame and fold in half. I've got much braver with this stuff the more I use it and just carefully melt the ends in the flame of the gas hob now.
Arrange your buttons in the colour order you want. All your buttons must have 4 holes. In the photo there is one with just two hole but that was just a mistake.

Thread the buttons onto one of the cords, starting with the darkest through to the lightest. Then thread back in the other direction going through the opposite hole in each button. 
Line your button holes up carefully so the buttons stay lined up nicely. 
Now take the second cord and do the same again in the remaining holes.
Attach the metal ring to the loops - just watch that you don't let the buttons slide off whilst you do this.
Now you can push the buttons up about 1 cm from the metal ring. Tie a knot in the cords on the other end.
DIY tassel button keyring
Now add a tassel. This was a bit fiddly, there might be a better way, but this is how I did it.
I took a longer length of cord, about 70" and looped it through the gap between the bottom button and the knot over and over - as shown in the photo:
How to make a tassel button keyring
I pulled it down neatly to cover the knot and then tied it with another short piece of cord.
diy tassel button keyring

I wrapped that short cord round a few times, knotting it again and the securing with a dot of super glue.

diy tassel button keyring
Then I just trimmed the ends of the short cord close to the super glue.

How to make a tassel button keyring
Then I chopped the bottom of the tassel so all the cords were level. To finish off I sealed the ends of the tassel by melting them quickly in a flame.

How to make a keyring with nylon thread and ombre buttons

How to make a keyring with nylon thread and ombre buttons
This bright pink makes them perfect for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Maybe you could give one to a friends with a Breast Awareness Printout from Breast Cancer Care that you can download from here.
You might also be interested in:
Giant Sparkly Button Key Ring
Giant Sparkly Button Keyring
Patchwork Gift Box
Patchwork Gift Box
Button Cluster Key Ring
Button Cluster Key Ring
Special DAte Coin Keyring
Special Date Coin Keyring
I'll be linking up this project at all these lovely link parties, pop over for a look at loads of projects from other blogs

Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

24 comments:

  1. Hello Julie. I am stopping by from Submarine Sunday. I love you keychain idea!! I am going to have to make a few of these for myself and the kiddos. They love stuff like this to hang on their back packs and such. I would love for you to stop by my blog when you have a minute http://storybookfelts.blogspot.com.

    storybookfelts at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely design, thanks for sharing the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A simple but effective design and a gorgeous pink :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab idea and love the vibrant colours you've used.

    Have a lovely crafty week, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea - it would brighten up any keyring! And of course, we love anything with buttons ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally love it! Really loving buttons at the mo and your tutorial has just given me a whole load of new ideas!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fab tutorial. I think I'll give this a go. You could have fun with lots of different colours. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great, I particularly love the colour. Thanks for sharing how to do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie, Thanks so much for coming by and taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every one of them! I wanted to come by and share with you how we 'colored' the apple cookies.
    The glaze is opaque white, like most glazes . . . so all the color(s) came from sanding sugars.
    We used green, yellow, red, and pink. There was a little over-lapping of colors to add depth :0)
    I'm so happy with how they turned out :0)
    Your website has so many great projects!
    I'm off to look around :0)
    Have a great weekend,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to come and find me! All makes perfect sense now, thanks. Sound like a fun idea, I'll have to look out for the coloured sanding sugars.

      Delete
  10. these would makes lovely homemade gifts. Popping by from Tuesday Tutorial Pin Party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it and that reminds me of a tassel craft I've been meaning to do!! :D Thanks for linking with Tuesday Tutorials #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! These will be perfect for bag zips. I'm pinning this up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so cute and would make great gifts that my girls could make on their own for the holidays. Thanks for sharing this on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! I love the bright pink. Thanks for sharing with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really cute, and perfect for BCA month, thanks for sharing on Oh My Heartsie Girl this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's is such a good idea, I've added a link to a printable breast awareness leaflet. Thank you.

      Delete
  16. So vibrant and pretty! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! Such a cute idea; can't wait to make them for Christmas gifts! Adorable and relatively inexpensive :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is adorable! I especially like the ombre effect with the buttons. Thanks for sharing on Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So very cute! I would love one of these for my keychain, and my girls would love this on their backpacks.
    Thanks for sharing at Project Inspire{d}! Hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute craft! It would be a fun one to try with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you did a really easy way of making a tassel. I can't wait to make my own now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Julie, I have vintage buttons. Such a cute project. I'd love to try it sometime. Pinned. Thanks for sharing at the party! Hope to see you again this week! Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.