Sunday 18 September 2016

Crochet Flower Garland

Flowers and crochet, that magic combination again.
crocheted flower garland
Back in August I shared the gift wrap using crocheted flowers that I'd done for a wedding present for one of the weddings in our "Summer of Weddings" 
crochet flower gift wrap
Using the flowers for the gift wrap was a slight detour project as I was actually working on this flower garland from the lovely Anne Marie's HaakBlog and now finally I have found my way back to that and actually finished it.

These flowers are so quick and easy to make and best of all Annemarie has done photos for each step so you can see what you are aiming for, I love that!
crocheted flower garland
Anne Marie's site is in Dutch with an English translation, reading it again it appears she uses US terminology in her English translation so on reflection I made all my flowers with the wrong stitch * I used UK trebles instead of US trebles (in the UK we call them double trebles) The flowers are pretty so I'm not too bothered about that, I guess they would just be a little bit bigger if I had read all the instructions properly before I got stuck in!
  • My yarn is DMC's Natura Just cotton, medium

The orange was a gift from DMC when I went to the CHSI stitches show back in February. I used it for the flower on the Crochet Heart Sachet I made too & I've still got quite a bit left.
  • I used a 4mm crochet hook
  • My flowers have come out 5.5cm in diameter, that's just over 2" (but bear in mind I did use a smaller stitch by mistake see above*)
I made 4 flowers in each of 5 colours, so I had 20 altogether.
To join them AnneMarie used a very simple method and just threaded them onto yarn as you can see in her photo below.
Mine are on a chain, I just thought the whole thing would be more substantial this way, this is going to be a gift and I think this way will be easier for the recipient.
I chained about 30cm (12") then started joining the flowers.
crocheted flower garland
I just slip stitched through a stitch on the back of a petal, chain 2 then slip stitched the back of the next petal. I wasn't very scientific about this, hopefully this photo show what I mean.
crocheted flower garland
I did 8 chain between each flower then repeated. Once all the flowers were joined I finished with another 30cm (12") chain for hanging.
crocheted flower garland
My finished garland measures just under 2m or about 76" 
crocheted flower garland
You know what I learnt doing this? Long garlands are REALLY difficult to photograph!
crocheted flower garland
I guess I also learnt that you should check which version of crochet terminology your pattern is using before you start but as this turned out fine I'm not loosing any sleep over it!
crocheted flower garland
These lovely little flowers could become brooches or hair clips, be added to a wreath, mug cozy or scented sachet, top a birthday card .... have I tempted you into have a go? Remember the pattern is from Anne Marie's HaakBlog - Enjoy!
I'll be sharing over at these Link Parties
You might also be interested in:
Rainbow Heart Garland
Rainbow Heart Garland
12 Ideas for Novelty Yarns
12 ideas for novelty yarns
Bright and Grey Crochet Flowers
Bright and Grey Crochet Flowers
Bakers Twine Effect Crochet
Bakers Twine Effect Crochet
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

26 comments:

  1. Hi Julie, I love this garland. I am following you to see how many more wonderful creations you come up with. Thanks for sharing this project. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, so pleased that you found Sum of their Stories and are enjoying what you see.

      Delete
  2. These are really cute! Saw your link on Happiness is Homemade link party - pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseann, glad you like them and hope you have a go sometime.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet garland. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are perfect little projects and I really do mean perfect. Pinned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, that's such a lovely thing to say, thank you.

      Delete
  5. Adorable projects like these make me wish I could crochet. I should really try to learn. Great project and thanks for sharing. Pinning for later (when I learn).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great beginner project Donna, anything in a circle is easier than trying to do straight edges and flowers are just the best as they work up really quickly.

      Delete
  6. These are SO SWEET. I love them. I want to make some of these little flowers, too. You are such an awesome, creative girl! Best wishes for a fun week ahead, your friend Linda @Crafts a la mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, that's such a lovely comment. :-)

      Delete
  7. So cute! I love them! And I think they could be a great present. It must be a difficult job though (unfortunately, I have always been so poor at such things). :) xx #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Marina, crochet is not difficult and You Tube is full of tutorials, even better is if you can get someone to sit next to you and teach you!

      Delete
  8. These are so cute! It's been ages since I picked up my crochet hook. I wish I could make things like this.
    #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super easy - honest! It's only 2 rows of pattern and you are done I do love a quick project so flowers are perfect for me!

      Delete
  9. These little flowers are adorable and making them into a garland is genius. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle Create~Bake~Make Link Party. I am featuring your post on Snickerdoodle today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am featuring you at Snickerdoodle today. http://www.bluewillowhouse.com/2016/10/01/snickerdoodle-createbakemake-link-party-151/

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are adorable! I love a garland, I have a few of the pom pom ones, but crochet flowers are so cute! Thanks so much for joining us again at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy, I love pom poms too and do think I'm going to have t make a pom pom garland too one day!

      Delete
  12. Love the finished garland so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are really pretty and will make a fabulous room decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. such pretty little flowers with so many uses

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are really pretty. You are very talented, there is no way I could anything like this. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so in love with your garland. Those little flowers are adorable. I think I prefer your version! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's just so pretty! Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.