Friday 23 September 2016

Amigurumi Owl

What a fun way to use up left over scraps of yarn. If you know basic crochet stitches you can make a super cute amigurumi owl! 
Amigurumi crocheted owl

Back in June I shared my Owl Post, a collection of 18 different owl crafts by lots of very talented bloggers from all over the world.
I thought the amigurumi owl from Kristi Tullus was just so sweet and I finally got round to giving her pattern a go.
It was pretty simple to follow, Kristi's pattern is in US crochet terms so that's just something to watch if you are used to UK terminology.
I confess, I got a little lost with my increases on the main owl body, mainly because I was watching some very exciting TV at the time, so in the end I just winged it and aimed for something with the right sort of shape, using the number of stitches at the end of each row as a guide. Looking at the photos I think my owl maybe just a tiny bit taller than she is supposed to be.
Amigurumi crocheted owl

My little amigurumi owl is made from left overs from the crochet flower garland and gift wrapping from earlier this summer. I also used a little bit of the orange from the heart sachet back in June.

The yarn is DMC Natura Just Cotton Medium and I used a 3mm crochet hook for the owl. I also substituted the safety eye Kristi used for her owl for a small black button (just using what I have) but then I'm not giving this owl to a small child. If you were, then obviously the safety eye is a better choice.
Amigurumi crocheted owl
I find amigurumi is a bit more difficult than regular crochet, the stitches are simple but it's just smaller and tighter so a bit more fiddly. As I'm making something I'm thinking "never again" but then the results are just so darn cute that after a short break I am tempted to have another go! 
If you are tempted to have a go at this sweet little owl then pop on over to get the pattern here (and Kristi Tullus has lots more patterns both free and to buy on her site as well as some tutorials on how to crochet too so it's well worth a look around)
You might also be interested in:
Rainbow Heart Garland
Rainbow Heart Garland
12 Ideas for Novelty Yarns
12 ideas for novelty yarns
Mini Minion, Tiny Ted and Beautiful Bows
Mini Minion, Tiny Ted and Beautiful Bows
Grey and Bright Crochet Flowers
Grey and Bright Crochet Flowers
I'll be linking up at these great link parties
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

20 comments:

  1. So, so cute. I have pinned to my Fall Crafts board. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, it did come out pretty cute didn't it?!

      Delete
  2. So cute! I love owls :)

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pam, it was fun to make, and pretty quick too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, this is too adorable for words. A must try! Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mimi - have a go, it doesn't take long and the results are pretty adorable aren't they?!

      Delete
  5. I love the wink, he is so sweet and worth all the problems. Can see basket full of these at a show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely, I'm sure they would sell well. I'm not sure I have the patience to make loads but after a short break I can definitely see me doing some more amigurumi.

      Delete
  6. Love the cheeky wink this adorable owl is giving. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julia, I think your owl is so cute! Thanks for sharing! Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, such a sweet craft, such an adorable owl :) Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, just stopping by again to say, I've pinned, stummbled and featured your post on this weeks Creative Mondays, thanks for linknig up..

      Delete
  9. Such a pretty owl! Thank you for sharing this at the Anything Blue Friday party! You are one of the features at this week's blue soiree. Here is the link to the bash! http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2016/09/anything-blue-friday-week-116.html Have a happy weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely, thanks for stopping by to let me know.

      Delete
  10. We Featured your awesome owl at Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make Link Party this week--hope you can stop by!
    http://twochicksandamom.blogspot.com/2016/10/snickerdoodle-create-bake-make-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! I especially love the little winking eye! Oh the adorableness!

    I'd love to have you link up at my weekly Yarn Fanatic Party! (This week's is here: http://www.thephilosopherswife.net/2016/10/yarn-fanatic-party-63.html)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.