Friday 6 May 2016

Kitchen Tin Planters and a cautionary tale

Old tins make fabulous planters for a kitchen windowsill right?
Kitchen Tin Planters
I guess you would call this up-cycling. It's an idea I'd seen all over pinterest, using old tins as planters, they look great so I thought I'd have a go. I've made mistakes so you don't have to, read on for my cautionary tale...

I actually started with this "vintage" OXO tin. I say "vintage" like that because really it's just a bit old and I'm not sure if it properly qualifies as vinatge. It was a freebie from OXO back in the 80's and was one of the things I kept when sorting out all my mums things. It's kind of cute but very "of it's time" - apparently only white people used OXO cubes in the 80's and am I the only one thinking that guy on the far right looks a bit like Hitler (ooo, far right ... spooky)
Over the last 6 months I've just kept my eye out for red food tins (to go in our red kitchen) and now I have 4 I feel this is enough to share with you.
At first I imagined fresh herbs on my kitchen window sill - how lovely that would be. Turns out herbs are quite a lot of work!
  • they get big quickly
  • they get straggly looking quickly, unless you use them all the time in everything you cook
  • a lot of them are annuals and die off in the autumn
If you use a lot of herbs in your cooking you go for it.
I moved to more of an "any easy to grow" plant theme.

The OXO tin is not water tight so I lined the base of the tin with thick plastic and put a dish in the bottom just to make sure water doesn't get inside. I added a plant still in it's plastic regular pot too. This is one of the babies from when I showed how to take cutting from these succulents.

The next tin I found was the Black Treacle tin, once the treacle was all used up I washed it out and planted it up. I figured this tin was made for liquids so I wouldn't have any problems with it leaking.
Kitchen Tin Planters
I planted it up with soil directly in the tin using some Jade or Money tree babies, also from my plants for free post. It doesn't leak but 6 months on it is going rusty on the bottom: 
Not a massive problem but I'm thinking this might leave rings on a windowsill which could be hard to clean off.
Turns out maybe not everything you see on pinterest is as simple as it seems! 
  • make sure your tin is sealed or waterproof and line it if it's not
  • herbs are lovely but not super easy to look after
  • consider putting regular plant pots inside your nice tins rather than planting directly into them
  • watch out for rusty bottoms!
Luckily the tin I've got that's gone rusty is the easiest to replace, as soon as we've used all the treacle in the next tin I can swap this one out. It would be a shame to use a lovely vintage tin that took ages to find though and then ruin it. 
Kitchen Tin Planters
In the other tins I've settled on a mixture of artificial plants and putting a plastic lining to the tin, with the plant still in it's plastic plant pot. I've not planted directly into any of them.
Kitchen Tin Planters
Kitchen Tin Planters

And finally, just because she is rather lovely, here is the cow milk jug that sits on the windowsill with our kitchen tin planters.
cow milk jug
I'm still keeping my eyes open for foods that come in red tins so I can add to the collection. Have you tried using anything unusual as a planter and had any unforeseen problems? 
You might also be interested in:
Plastic tub planter
Plastic tub Planter
Pretty Garden Planters
Pretty Garden Planters
Ikea Cactus gift wrap
Ikea cactus gift wrap
Taking succulent cuttings
Taking succulent cuttings
I'll be linking up at these great link parties, why not check them out!
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

25 comments:

  1. They may be a pain Julie but they look so pretty. I like your solution of using fake plants if you are one that doesn't use herbs all that much. Still the red looks really bright and cheery in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were just a step more challenging that I anticipated Mary! I do love how they look though.
      I have a few herbs in the garden which I find much less work and provide enough for what we use, so all is well!

      Delete
  2. They look great tho! All my herbs die, they are hard work then again I don't seem to have green fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've decided herbs are for people that love cooking with them, I'm sure they like being cut back all the time! I'm happy with our eclectic mix now.

      Delete
  3. Love the cow planter! Mooo!🐄 and I reckon the oxo tin can bee classed as vinage now. Beautiful result! #MakingHome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my cow too! I've often wondered what the difference between old and vintage is, vintage sounds SO much better!

      Delete
  4. Haha, you are right! He looks a bit like Hitler!! lol....love the idea of using these vintage tins as flowerpots. so beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing at my craft party on Thursday! Would love to see your newest posts this week, which starts at 7pm EST. www.diy-crush.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me thinking that! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. love them all! Hope to see you again at #bloggerspotlight link and pin-it party. Pinned! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen planters turned out so cute! Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Pinned & shared. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloe barbadensis is a perfect addition to the kitchen as the juice is great on burns. I love your tins. I'm a huge fan of tins and I'm always sad when they start to rust a little. A little tip that I have yet to try myself is to use clear nail polish on the bottom rim to protect furniture against rust. I'll be featuring this project at #Pinbellish 37.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nail varnish tip, I'll certainly try that out.
      Thank you for the feature too, great start to the weekend!

      Delete
  8. I have plans to plant succulents in my Fortnum and Mason tins. Such a good idea to reuse beautiful tins #MakingHome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, Fortnum & Mason tins sound fancy, I bet they will look fab.

      Delete
  9. Such a great idea, love up-cycling old things too :) Pinned!

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, it's nice to give old things a new life.

      Delete
  10. What a great idea. I always keep old syrup tins, because they are so nice, but can't think what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the typography on some tins is really lovely, too nice to just throw away.

      Delete
  11. The tins look really effective and so smart, good idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your planters are so pretty, they surely brighten up your kitchen! My tin planters that I have done recently are rusting and I can see the rust coming through the paint, but I keep them outside and I don't really mind. I am about to do some more and I was thinking to find an anti-rust solution but my husband said he likes them like that.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.