Saturday 21 November 2015

Wooden Christmas Gift Tags

Last year I made some gift tags for all the family that they will be able to use as tree ornaments for years to come.
Personalised Wooden Christmas Gift Tags
wooden gift tags keepsakes
To make them you will need:
  • Wooden Hanging Hearts or shaped gift tags
  • Christmas Scrapbook paper
  • Alphabet stickers or punches (I used my QuicKutz Squeeze)
  • Mod Podge or PVA glue
  • Bakers twine or cord
  • A needle

I found these little packs of heart shaped wooden tags on sale last October in the wedding section of our local Hobbycraft shop.
I guess wedding season was over so they were marked right down to 50p per pack of 4. Amazon have a few similar ones available here and here

How to cover wooden gift tags with scrapbook papers
  1. Place your scrapbook paper face down and draw round the wooden tag shape
  2. Cut it out
  3. Brush a layer of Mod Podge over the wooden shape
  4. Apply the scrapbook paper shape, smooth, then brush over another layer of glue. 
  5. Cut out the letters needed for the names of your loved ones
  6. Glue the names on and give the whole thing another layer of Mod Podge to seal. Pierce through the paper where the hanging hole is with the needle and leave to dry
Wooden gift tags and Christmas tree ornaments
Then just use cord or bakers twine to attach them to your gifts
Wooden Christmas Gift Tag keepsakes
If you want to, you could glue paper to both sides, maybe add a square of note paper on the other side so you can write a message. 
Or you could print a Christmassy quote or message on the computer and glue that on the reverse. 

I spent a while choosing papers I thought each person would especially like from scraps I have kept over the years. They all hung their hearts on their tree as soon as they had finished opening their presents which was lovely - I like a busy, crowded Christmas tree!
You might also be interested in:
Festive Mirror Fun
Festive Mirror Fun
Scrabble Christmas Sign
Christmas Scrabble Sign
Gift Boxes from old cards
Gift Boxes from Old Cards
Christmas Pudding Chocolate Buttons
Christmas Pudding Chocolate Buttons
I'll be linking up at all these great link parties, pop over and have a little look round at all the lovely ideas.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

28 comments:

  1. What a bargain, the finished hearts look lovely, it's great that they can be hung on the tree afterwards, so many pretty tags are thrown away each year. I like the idea of putting a personal message on the back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good bargain! I think I would probably put messages on the back if I did these again, I only thought of it afterwards!

      Delete
  2. these look lovely, they are a great way to use the wooden shapes that look so plain on their own #CreativeMondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the wooden shapes are very versatile, you can decorate them in all sorts of ways.

      Delete
  3. These are pretty. Will definitely give them a try - thanks for sharing. #creativemondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them. It was a pretty easy project so I'm sure you'll enjoy making them.

      Delete
  4. That's a great idea! I have some hearts already in my stash and plenty of paper too 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! The stash of a crafting person - it's nice when you can shop your stash instead of having to go out spending!

      Delete
  5. hmm... Those are Great! -- I'll have to keep an eye out for woody bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Auntie Shan, I've not seen them at quite such a bargain price again but to be honest they are not mega expensive anyway. I guess it depends how many people you have to make them for!

      Delete
  6. dropped by to say "hi" from Handmade Monday, love these tags, so simple and look fabulous, great idea - Chris @madebyChrissieD :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really fun idea and you can still use the tag for other things later. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are sweet, love your Christmas gift tags, pinning :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Claire, I'm pleased you like them.

      Delete
  9. These are so cute! The perfect way to personalise pressies in style :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a bit of personalisation, and when people have more unusual names it makes sense to make your own.

      Delete
  10. You come up with such clever and pretty ideas! And the fact they can hang them on the tree afterwards is special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say, thank you.
      I imagined them as ornaments too, so it was nice that all the family agreed!

      Delete
  11. These are awesome! I love them! I would think they would make a great tree decoration for the person as a reminder of each Christmas! I also imagine that you are not limited to the shape of the tag, so you could get even more personal if you were creative enough! An awesome idea for those who are learning there letters too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo Sharon, I love the letter idea. These wooden shapes do come in other shapes, the hearts were what I found on sale, stars would be good - very traditional!

      Delete
  12. I love this idea!! And you can use them as ornaments as well, they are so pretty - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet, personalized touch to add to a gift! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Julie! You'll be featured this week at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, and thanks for letting me know, I'll pop by now and take a look.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.