Saturday 21 September 2013

Birdcage Cards



I spent the whole of last weekend making invitations for my friends wedding. They wanted something with birdcages and I found these votive wraps in Hobbycraft which I thought might work. They are £3.99 and you get 20 strips with 5 birdcages on each one. so that's 100 in a pack.
I cut them up carefully until I had a box full.
This is how the invitations turned out...
...but I had quite a few little birdcages leftover. So this weekend I had fun experimenting with them and made a few birthday cards.
This is just some lovely birdcage paper which came free in a magazine. The words were printed on the computer on card, cut just with scissors and attached with foam pads. The little bow is just a bit of embroidery thread.

This flowers paper was actually from some packaging that I rescued from the bin. I can't remember what, maybe a tissue box, or Easter egg, something like that. This is just lots of layering up of coloured paper & card, I think the technical term is "matting & layering".

Because I like the inside of cards to be blank whenever possible I stuck all these elements down onto the pink polka dot paper before I glued that to the card base. It's a bit more fiddly but now the card doesn't have all the ends of the threads inside and I don't have to use an insert.

This is half of a regular doily (you just have to be really minimal with glue when sticking doilies down, it easily squidges through the holes and you can get in a mess!) The words were printed on the computer, cut out and the edges inked. The tiny little butterflies are punched from patterned paper.

You might also be interested in:
Doodle Card
Doodle Card
UK Coin Picture
UK Coin Picture
Earrings Organised
Earrings Organised
Clock Mini Makeover
Clock Mini Makeover

Linked up to these great link parties.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

2 comments:

  1. What a good friend you are! They turned out so well. Bird cages are just classic elements aren't they. Fantastic job and thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.