Monday 10 April 2017

My New Look

This blog started back in August 2013 as a way to share all my enthusiasm for making stuff. I've learnt SO much about blogging in the last 3 and a half years and the style of my posts has changed quite a bit but one thing I've never really changed much was the look and layout of Sum of their Stories.

I've tweaked the Blogger Simple Template a little here and there over the years but about a month ago I made a new logo and starting thinking about the best way to get a new, more up to date look. I was busy researching the options when I came across a competition from Life and Linda by chance and blow me down with a feather, a week later I got a surprise email from Linda to say I'd won! 



Linda has been great to work with. She really is a Fairy Blogmother! I chose the elements I liked from the Custom Blogger Templates Builder and Linda basically took care of the rest. I've had a day now to poke around my new template and make a few tiny changes - things I'd not thought to mention before.

The whole process was nowhere near as scary or difficult as I feared, but I think that may be Linda's calm efficiency.
I have things now I had no idea how to achieve, drop down menu's for tutorials - whoop whoop! My Instagram feed running along the bottom - yay! A slider with posts I want to promote along the top of the home page - huzzah! 

I'll probably play around from time to time once I feel more confident I'm not going to majorly stuff anything up but all in all I am delighted. I wanted modern but not over complicated, I'm not a fan of sites where I can't find anything. 
I kept my main header photo with all the crafts mostly because I love it so much and think it still explains what Sum of their Stories is about (making all the things!)

www.myfairyblogmother.com

If you a thinking of a makeover from your blog yourself do consider Linda, the Fairy Blogmother, even if you are not lucky enough to win a makeover in a giveaway it's really not an expensive outlay. 

So please, tell me what you think? Anything missing that I've forgotten all about? Anything you especially like? Anything you are not keen on? (be kind...) Is it easy to navigate? 


Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

21 comments:

  1. The new look is great Julie. It looks modern and informative and it's easy to navigate around your site. Well done on winning the competition too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, honestly the timing could not have been better. I feel so lucky to have won such a great prize.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Julie for the wonderful blog makeover review. I am so happy you are pleased. Your new looks is more uptodate, responsive and easy to navigate. Have fun blogging with your new template and look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda, I am thrilled. You worked so hard to make it all happen, you really are my Fairy Blogmother!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous Julie. It's a great layout and easy to navigate. Congratulations :)

    One small negative, sharing from the Tweet button doesn't add the post title. It's only a teeny tiny negative though (people wanting to share could copy and paste from the post itself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaz, thanks for the feedback. I used to have Add it buttons for sharing individual posts, I must get that put back on. I really appreciate the reminder, I had forgotten that!

      Delete
  4. I love your new look! Very clean and easy to meander around. Congratulations on the win! What brilliant timing. I've just gone through a similar process, and know what you mean about being too scared to touch anything in case you break it! Little by little I'm getting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pop by and see what you've been changing around. I'd recommend getting a professional in though if you want a complete overhaul, it took all the worry out of it!

      Delete
  5. Hi Julie - congrats on the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, I clicked the share tweet button and it opened in my twitter. It shows the post title in entirety. Not sure what your other reader means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The share button under the post doesn't show the title for me Linda but now Julie has added the share buttons on the side of the post, that works. I'm using Chrome so perhaps it's do with the browser I'm using.

      Delete
    2. Me too Linda, maybe Shaz was using the social media buttons at the top instead. I've not had chance to try everything out yet & see what does what! I've added a discreet 'Add this' to the side anyway, it doesn't hurt to have lots of options for people.

      Delete
    3. It's all a bit beyond me Shaz (hence Linda has been such a godsend for me) but I'm glad you have an easy way to share the projects that you like now. It is such a boost when people like these ideas enough to share them :-)

      Delete
  7. Looks great, Julie! Easy to navigate and I love the drop down menus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, it's taking me some getting used to. Every time I view my posts I get a lovely surprise at the moment. It's a bit like when you catch a glimpse of yourself in a shop window when you've just been to the hairdressers!

      Delete
  8. Linda does wonderful work. I know how you feel As shes mt fairyblogmother too so I guess that makes us blogsisters? Haha. Your blog looks absolutly amazing. Its easy to browse through and gentle on the eyes. Very nice. I love all the cheery reds and craftiness. Now excuse me while I look around your blog a bit.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good Julia. I like your header too, it says a great deal about what you do. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, that's the feedback I've had ever since I started the blog which was why I was reluctant to change it. I might go crazy one day and do a reshoot, try to get rid of the shadows. I'd have to rummage through my craft stuff to find all those bits and pieces again!

      Delete
  10. Love the new look. Very clear fresh simple and easy to navigate.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.