Wednesday 19 April 2017

Cork & Fabric Keyring

A simple little keyring made with scraps of cork and fabric.
Cork and fabric Keyring
Yesterday I shared this cork passport holder I was able to make using the contents of the Craftiosity Craft Kit box I was sent. 
Cork and fabric Keyring and passport holder
As I mentioned, and you can see in the photo, I had a little bit of the cork fabric left, enough to make a little key ring.
Cork and fabric Keyring
To make your own cork key ring you will need:
A scrap of cork fabric 16cm(6") x 2.5cm(1")
A piece of fabric 28cm(11") x 5.5cm(2.25")
A D ring and clip - mine was in my stash saved from an old lanyard

Press a hem on each long side of the fabric and press with an iron. You want the fabric strip to measure 2.5cm - the same as the cork. As you can see in the photo I did one narrow hem and one wider one. I'm not sure why. You could make them even if you like! Press a small hem on one short end too.
Cork and fabric Keyring
Place the cork strip onto the end of fabric strip, wrong sides together, holding with clips. Top stitch down one side, along the short end hem and back up with other side. Cork and fabric Keyring
Bring the fabric end up to just overlap the end of the cork and clip to hold in place.
Cork and fabric Keyring
Fold the cork end over so the cork is facing out forming a loop and the 2 cork ends are level. Slip the D ring onto the fabric end then loop the fabric back to cover the uncovered end of the cork. Wow this is difficult to put into words! Just look at the photos, I think that is much easier to work out!
Cork and fabric Keyring
Now stitch a square to hold all this in place. This is asking a lot of your sewing machine so go slow and use the handle to turn the needle really slowly if you need to. You are aiming for something like this.
Cork and fabric Keyring
Trim off any loose threads and you are done.
Cork and fabric Keyring
I love finding ways to use up little leftover scraps.

Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

23 comments:

  1. I have to invest in some cork fabric. I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, it has a lovely texture and stitches single layers really easily. My poor machine did struggle a little with the 2 layers of cork plus 6 layers of doubled up fabric!

      Delete
  2. The cork fabric looks really interesting. I think I will have to get some I bet it would go well with denim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting project... I didn't know you could sew cork and I would never have thought to try it. Good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a special cork fabric, it has a backing that stops it cracking or falling apart. Fun stuff to play with!

      Delete
  4. Totally quality project! I would buy this at Tommy Bahama! I love cork, reminds me of summer. Love it and thank you for sharing it at TADA! Thursdays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, glad you like it. Cork is a summery material isn't it.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a great idea to use up the leftover scraps. I wish I could use a sewing machine :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was lucky that as I was growing up using a sewing machine was just a normal thing. They are really not very scary honestly!

      Delete
  6. I love this style keyfob, it looks great with these fabrics, the cork is really unusual and different :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great project! The cork was unexpected, but now that I've seen it, I'm in love and will be on the hunt for some of my own. It looks like a fun product. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful project and even better your only cost was the hardware! Thanks for sharing with us at Creatively Crafty #ccbg :) I've given you some social media love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea and so effective not to mention useful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a nice use of cork! Such a cool idea & possible gift too ;-)
    Glad I saw it on the I am Pinnable Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool idea! Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Pinned & shared.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat little key ring you are a talented needleworker Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This would make such a great gift Julie and the combination of cork and the pretty fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great! It would make a cool bookmark too - Thanks for sharing on the Pleasures of the NW's DIY link up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a super cute DIY! It would look great on my key ring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could you please make your tutorials easily printable? Thank you! Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I'll see what I can do. I do an easy print document for recipes, knit & crochet patterns but I'd never thought about doing them for tutorials.
      When I'm on other sites I usually just copy everything, paste it all onto a word document & then delete out anything I don't need to print. It's often still reams & reams though!
      Leave it with me, when I have a moment I'll have a go. Thanks for the feedback & idea :-)

      Delete
  17. Thanks for the tutorial. I wanted to tell you that I love your page header! It's clean design made me smile : )

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.