Wednesday 26 April 2017

Embroidered Sampler Bag

Give an inexpensive pre made bag a pretty traditional sampler effect.
Embroidered Sampler Effect Drawstring Bag
Way back in February I visited the CHSI stitches show at the NEC near Birmingham and had a fab time seeing lots of lovely new trends and products in the craft world. One of my favourite bits of the day was the bloggers brunch where I got to meet some of my blogging friends in real life, made some new blogging friends and had a lovely workshop and goody bag from DMC. 
At the show, whilst we chatted, we all started a little embroidery on the pre made drawstring bags using some printed Magic Sheet and Coloris thread from DMC. Most people cut out letters to make a phrase or name but I stuck the whole alphabet to my bag with the idea to make a sampler style embroidery. I did share the beginnings of this project on Instagram at the time.
using DMC magic sheet
You just peel the backing from the Magic sheet and press it firmly to your fabric and start stitching. I used a simple backstitch with 2 strands of the Coloris thread. I dotted the i & j with french knots. Once the alphabet was completed I just rinsed it under the tap and the magic sheet turned to jelly then vanished.
using DMC magic sheet
Once it dried I used a washable pen to draw a wavy border.
embroidered back stitch alphabet
I worked the embroidery on the border in the same way as the alphabet, 2 strands of Coloris thread with backstitch and lazy daisy stitches for the flowers and leaves.
Embroidered Sampler Effect Drawstring Bag
The blue washable pen just washes out as easily as the magic sheet did. After a good ironing I was happy with the look but I was a bit disappointed that the darker pieces of the thread showed through where I had dragged them across the back between letters. It doesn't really show in the photos but in real life it was enough to annoy me! 
back stitch alphabet
This is what slowed me down and made this take 2 months to finish. after leaving it on one side for a while the solution was a quick simple lining. 
I used a little bit of floral fabric from my stash. I just made a bag the same size as the drawstring bag, then wrong side out, popped it inside the embroidered bag. Then I turned the top edge under and top stitched round just under the drawstring casing.
Embroidered Sampler Effect Drawstring Bag
I am happy now! A lovely new project bag to keep my next little make all together.
Embroidered Sampler Effect Drawstring Bag
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

24 comments:

  1. I love this embroidered bag. So simple and really effective. I love your hand embroidery, it's so neat. Such a shame about the blue starnds but with the lining you don't even see them now anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the strands across the back were mainly my own fault, too lazy to finish and restart the thread after each letter! But now the lining is in, no-one need ever know about my laziness!!

      Delete
  2. So pretty Julia and love traditional embroidery. Think the sampler style was a brilliant idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny Caroline, we were all sitting round chatting about how modern embroidery can be these days and how much we like modern designs then I started making something super traditional! I think there is a place for both :-)

      Delete
  3. Very cute Julie. I love the pretty fabric on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to find a use for a pretty little piece from my stash.

      Delete
  4. What an ingenious way to transfer a design! And it has made a lovely bag too. Great idea for finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel it's very simple compared to what you are doing on your course but it was fun to make (eventually) and I've ended up with a pretty and useful bag.

      Delete
  5. What a cool way to transfer the design to the bag. A lovely bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic sheet is so clever, it doesn't peel at all whilst you are working with it, and when it washes away it goes to a sort of gelatine for a second then suddenly whoosh - it's disappeared. No idea what it's made of - some sort of alchemy I think!

      Delete
  6. I have only been thinking about mine this week! It is really beautiful Julia - Stunning. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you finish yours Jo? I'd love to see what you came up with.

      Delete
    2. Posted mine today - not as beautiful as yours - slightly more silly! Jo x

      Delete
  7. Such a pretty bag :) I've never heard of magic sheet, I'll have to try it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a clever way to transfer a design, they do pre printed ones but I'm not sure if you can buy it to draw your own designs onto - hence I used the pen.
      It makes the fabric firm too which means you don't HAVE to use an embroidery hoop either which is good for projects on the move.

      Delete
  8. I wish my embroidery stitches were so neat. The bag looks great Julia and the slight hint of stitching showing through would've bugged me too. Great idea adding some fabric on the inside to blur it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about neat, I see all my mistakes, I guess we all do! I tried to not worry about seeing the threads through the bag but it was a loosing battle and had to be fixed - good thing it was pretty easy.

      Delete
  9. I love that magic sheet it is so clever and I love this bag :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber, it is cool stuff. There till you don't want it any more then easy to get rid of.

      Delete
  10. Your bag is adorable! I'm going to have to make one too. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your bag. Where can I find the magic sheets? I had never heard of them and have not had any luck finding them on Amazon. I am currently teaching embroidery to a group of little girls at my church and would love to use this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough to be given the magic sheet to try in a goody bag from DMC but I've seen it on Amazon here in the UK. and also Minerva crafts stock it https://www.minervacrafts.com . I'm not sure where you are based.
      The DMC website in the US has it https://dmc-usa.com/free-patterns/magic-sheets.html
      It all seems to be pre printed designs that they sell at the moment.
      A wash out pen works well too but the good thing about the magic sheet is it makes your fabric firmer so a hoop is not strictly necessary.
      There are some other brands available too, if you google Wash away embroidery stabalizer you should find something, Hope that helps.

      Delete
  12. What a sweet sewing project! This makes me want to sew again. It's been awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.