Wednesday 9 September 2015

Ribbon Gift Tag / Card Topper

What do you do with little scraps of left over ribbon? I've been playing and made some gift tags and card toppers.

Some of the materials I used to make these were provided by Pandahall.com
I hate throwing away anything I think might "come in" for something and ribbon is no exception. I have a box full and try my best to keep it tidy and organised. I have my friends and work colleagues well trained and they save me those little ribbons that come on new tops once they have snipped them off, I use them mostly on cards and for making little bows. (I got very excited once about a very easy way to make tiny bows on a fork)

To make these gift tag/card toppers I used:
  • Ribbon - old and new (the wide ribbon with stars is from Pandahall.com, the rest is from my stash)
  • A greeting cut from an old greeting card
  • A little metal eyelet and eyelet setter
  • My good dressmaking scissors
 Trim the message from the old greeting card (or print or write your own on a piece of card) Don't use your good dressmaking scissors for this bit! This will decide the best lengths to trim the rest of your ribbons.
My words were 9cm (3.5") so I trimmed my ribbons just a little longer varying the lengths. If your ribbon is very fray-ee you could use some fray check liquid or a flame (BE VERY CAREFUL!) to seal the edges but I didn't. 
Punch a hole in the card message.
Cut a little hole in each ribbon towards one end - This is where you want to use your good sharp scissors - I just folded the ribbon over and snipped a tiny v shape. I tried to punch holes in the ribbon with the eyelet setter but it just didn't work for me.
Working from the front, insert the eyelet into the card then the lengths of ribbon and then use the eyelet setter to set the eyelet.

Use as a gift tag like this:
Or turn it into a card topper, I punched two holes in each card and set an eyelet in the higher hole.

I found I'd saved some printed ribbon that came with some birthday flowers (my lovely flowers did appear on instagram back in May)

I tried stamping onto ribbon which worked pretty well.

I quite like the ribbons without words too.
If you don't have an eyelet setter you could just make holes and thread thin ribbon through, or use split pins. Have fun, experiment! 
This is what I was working on the other week when I published this photo as my Silent Sunday picture, I was playing with these lovely ribbons as I thought about what I was going to make!

I've barely made a dent in my ribbon stash but now I'm thinking these might be cute in reds, greens and golds for Christmas gifts and cards. It's probably not to soon to start..... 
You might also be interested in:
Dictionary Page Card
Dictionary Page Card
Circle Card Crazy
Circle card Crazy
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Photo Earring Gift Card
Photo Earring Gift Card
I'll be linking up this project at these lovely link parties.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

11 comments:

  1. Oh that's cute! What a unique way to use up the ribbon and decorate the gift bags. Thanks for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty link party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am always wondering what to do with my ribbon scraps! What a great idea. I also did not know that you could stamp ribbon! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea, and yet it looks so classy and simple. I have so much of this laying around from when I scrapbooked. Stealing this idea and so going to use it..... Plain brown paper bag will look so CUTE!!!!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRILLIANT! :-D
    I hate to toss my scraps, too! - I just need to find an eyeletter... I'm sure that we must have one around here SOMEWHERE! The ELVES know we have EVERYTHING *ELSE* "crafty" in our HOARD-STOCK!
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea, its so satisfying to find a good use for crafty scraps :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a creative gft tag idea! Love and sharing:) XO -Wendi @H2OBungalow

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an amazing idea. We have loads of ribbon around here. Now we have a purpose for all those ods an ends. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes, Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are so cute! It definitely makes a gift that much more special when there is a personal touch like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea!! Love them. Pinned. Have a fun weekend. Linda @Crafts a la mode

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to use up lots of ribbon ends, I've always got lots of those left over from making bows.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.