Wednesday 30 September 2015

My Lettering and Doodle Adventure

Anyone who follows me on instagram will have noticed I've been taking part in a Lettering and Doodle Challenge this September.
Lettering and doodle challenge
I have had way more fun than I thought I would and have produced little doodles and lettering that are much better than I thought I would ever be able to do. The challenge was set by the lovely (and super talented) Dawn Nicole. I've been a big fan of her beautiful handlettered work for some time so when I saw her instagram challenge with it's daily word prompts for either a doodle or lettering it seemed like a fun thing to join.
Swirl and dots leaf doodle
I didn't manage every day, but I kind of knew that would be impossible before I started and am pretty pleased with the 19 out of 30 that I did.
Shine Bright doodle
Half way through the month Dawn started a Facebook group too where she gives us hint, tips, lessons and homework as well as links to resources and loads more. Check out Dawn's facebook page for more details.

I haven't rushed out and bought any special equipment (yet!) This is what I used through the month.


I used the thinner supermarket sketch book for my "sketches and ideas" phase then did most of my "proper" versions on the better quality drawing paper. For some though, I just used the thinner paper, usually when the initial sketch was turning out ok and I had no time for a do-over! 
Most of the lines were either with the Stabillo fine liner pens or the ultra fine or fine Sharpies. 
The most expensive thing in my collection are the lovely ProMarker coloured pens which I used for this "Circles" doodle,
Circles doodle Lettering and doodle challenge
 and this "Wild and Free" lettering 
Wild and free handlettering

I was given them about 3 years ago and they are still going strong and blend beautifully. They do also bleed through all the papers I've tried them on, but you win some you loose some! 
I'll just treat you to a special close up of my awesome eraser. I think a new one is long overdue, but this one does rub out pretty well without leaving streaks or marks on the page.

Dawn has recommended a good brand so I'm going to check that out.

Most of my (almost) daily doodles were several to a page.
I had issues with my first version of the "Steam Punk Cogs" doodle - and on the good paper too :-(
Garlands Lettering and doodle challenge
I have turned some of my doodles into greeting cards, and the "Teacups" doodle which was Day 1 I've mounted on card, laminated and it's hanging on the kitchen wall as part of my ever growing but not yet finished gallery wall.
Teacup doodle
Some days I sketched a few ideas last thing at night, other times I did 3 or 4 at the same time in advance when I had a minute. It was really therapeutic to just switch off from everything for a short time and loose myself in a little light doodling.
The instagram participants are super supportive, lots of people dipping in and out as they can, no pressure. Lots of different ages and levels of experience from all over the world, all just enjoying sharing their arty endeavours.
The October prompts are ready now if you fancy joining in. I don't think I'll have time to participate as much this month but I will certainly be dipping in now and again. I'd love to be able to do beautiful lettering of my favourite quotes to put up on the wall, or turn into cards - practice, practice!
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

51 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! I LOVE this so much! Your work is just beautiful and I'm honored you're doing the challenges. Thank you so much for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Dawn, it was so much fun and so inspiring to see everyone else's work too. I found it really interesting how varied it all was, different people's interpretations on the prompts.
      I've learnt so much already too, still a way to go though I think!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! I'm hoping to have time to start the second lot of Lisa Congdon classes this weekend - I got so much from doodling last time I put some time into it. Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, her stuff is amazing - so cool (do people still say cool?)
      It's hard to prioritise doodling though isn't it!? That's why I enjoyed joining a challenge so much - gave me a good excuse!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful!! I just love your doodles and lettering! Your work is absolutely beautiful. I'm so excited to find your fun blog st the Saturday Sharefest and will be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment Pam, I'm so happy you found your way here!

      Delete
  4. That 'teacup' doodle is so cool! Inspired by a spill. Love it...and all things handwritten. Visiting via SITS Sharefest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite pleased with that one thanks Barb, and I do love a cuppa!

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful!! I really love your first quote and the red leave is also wonderufl!
    (I discovered you via Snickerdoodle Sunday Link Party)
    Greetings from Belgium, Sigrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaf is one of my favourites Sigrid, I did it on my cheap quality paper though which was probably a mistake, I might try another version on better paper to keep. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Julie this looks like so much fun, love your doodling which in fact is much more than just doodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, It was fun, I'm recommending it to everyone!

      Delete
  7. This is great! Love of all of it. You seriously make me want to pull out the sketching block.

    Stopping by from the Sharefest, have a great week!

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your doodles are so cool!! You're doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keri, I've really enjoyed the month's challenge and plan to carry on.

      Delete
  9. I'm not quite this creative, but I have gotten into coloring lately. I have some cute adult color books where someone else has created the doodles and I get to color them! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colouring book trend is great isn't it. Dawn Nicole has just published a book if you are interested, the details are on her website.

      Delete
  10. You have really made me think. I used to doodle, but somewhere along the way I stopped. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start again ... you really don't need fancy equipment and it's fun! Being part of the challenge made it easier to be motivated.

      Delete
  11. Love seeing your work each week and the lettering is perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolee, I think perfect is a stretch (I can see all the mistakes) but it's lovely of you to say so!

      Delete
  12. What lovely lettering :) love to doodle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I found the doodles much easier than the lettering but it's so nice to learn something new.

      Delete
  13. I love your teacup doodle! And the font and all of it. They make me want to pick up paper and pens or pencils and start doodling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was fun, I highly recommend having a go. Having the prompts really helped, otherwise a blank sheet of paper can be daunting.

      Delete
  14. These are great and so creative <3 them :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, and it's always a pleasure to stop by and say hi on a Monday!

      Delete
  15. They are amazing Julie, you are so multi-talented. I'm going to explore the October prompts when I'm through reading blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy, what a lovely comment.
      I'd recommend having a go if you fancy it, you really don't have to commit to everyday if you can't manage that and it's such an inspiring group.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, I don't think my stuff has ever been described as delightful before. That's such a great word, I'm going to use it as much as possible from now on.

      Delete
  17. I've been following your lovely drawings. I would so like to take part, not sure I can squeeze that in too tho. Lol. Happy drawing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. You can just dip in and out you know - a doodle a day is quite an ask isn't it? I only did some when I had time and it was like 10 minutes of meditating in the way that I switched off from everything else.
      It's been really successful for Dawn Nicole in terms of numbers joining in I think, so I imagine she will be continuing it for some time - I hope so!

      Delete
  18. Awh Camila - never be scared of trying something creative. Half the fun is not knowing exactly how it's going to turn out and everyone has a "many fails to each success" ratio that's part of the process.
    I love the watercolour lettering I see around the place, I'd love to give that a try too sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie ~ These are fabulous! They make me want to try it out myself. :0) I love the coffee cup ring one. Thanks for sharing with us at the Merry Monday Link Party! Hope to see you again on Sunday and can't wait to see October's prompts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany, I think you should give it a go, enjoy if you do!

      Delete
  20. I love lettering & would love to spend more time focusing on it. Thanks for sharing your lovely post at the Inspiration Spotlight Party. Pinned & shared. Hope to see you again this week. Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It almost always comes down to time doesn't it? I think being part of a challenge really motivated me to make the time, I wish I could spend longer but life gets in the way!

      Delete
  21. Thank you Julie for sharing your creativity at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy.
    I love your art and the challenge is awesome!
    You are one of our Featured Guests at this week's party -#197!
    Look forward to seeing what you sketch and doodle this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feature, and for letting me know. I'll definitely be stopping by again this week. Thanks.

      Delete
  22. OOh what a fabulous challenge, I can see it has inspired you:) Off to link up on Instagram:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see you over on Instagram Vicky! (and yes, inspired is my middle name, or is it enthusiastic?? I forget!)

      Delete
  23. Love your doodles/tangles and will be checking out the links you provided.
    Found you through Ramona @ Create with Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you enjoy the next challenge as much as I have this one.

      Delete
  24. I love your teacup doodle.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What lovely work. Your pieces are just beautiful.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very artistic. I love the coffee cup with the stain around it. So clever! Thanks for linking up with Thursday Favorite Things!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.