Thursday 3 September 2015

DIY Coasters including the fails!

I've over at The Pinning Mama today sharing a tutorial on how to make these Cut Out Coasters.

They are made from left over scraps of the pleather I used for a coat repair a little while ago. Remember this?

The cute, bright, "felt peeking out" Cut Out Coaster tutorial I'm sharing at The Pinning Mama was not my first coaster making attempt, it's been a process. This whole coaster making tale is a bit of a saga. 
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...
If you saw my post a little while ago about the changes I've been making to our existing things to match the bedroom décor in our new house you may have seen this photo of my bedside table. 

It's very nice (and tidy!) but something very important is missing. A coaster for my cup of tea! Doh! I was using a scrappy bit of junk mail (NOT photographed!), then a really bright crocheted coaster. But I really needed to make something elegant.
The pleather I'd used for the coat repair is cream coloured so perfect for the bedroom, it's wipeable so perfect for a coaster - good so far.
I glued a piece of pleather to a piece of felt with Mod Podge, pressed it under a pile of books for a bit then let it dry thoroughly.
Next I cut out an octagonal shape using a card template (I just used a "Insert shape" option on the computer in word)

I had a perfectly serviceable shaped coaster.

I thought I could make it better, prettier, more classy. So I used a gold paint marker type pen to mark a simple jewel pattern.

I was really happy with this until I used it for my tea.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! Somehow the gold paint pen never quite dried properly on the pleather. FAIL!

Not to be deterred I tried again. This time I used a gold spray paint and a doily.
Slightly better, I love how the coaster looks. BUT after a few uses I can see where the bottom of the mug lifts and smudges the paint a little. A BIT OF A FAIL!
I have still to find some thing I can paint onto this pleather with that can withstand a mug of hot tea, 'tis a quest...
What I did like though, was seeing the felt layer underneath the pleather from the side. That made me think maybe coloured felt and some sort of cut out to let the felt show through would be the way to go. 
NOT A FAIL AT ALL! HORRAY!
The bright colours don't really go in our soft neutral pallet bedroom so I will make some more with a gold felt bottom layer when I get a moment. I just couldn't resist making something with the brights, these have gone in the living room and are standing up to wear and tear very nicely. Pop over to The Pinning Mama for the full tutorial here.
I don't normally share all my fails, and they are not infrequent believe me. Everyone makes things that just don't work out sometimes, it's perfectly normal. As long as you don't stuff things up with a very expensive piece of material or equipment it's all good!
What do you do with your fails? Pop them in the rubbish bin quickly before anyone sees or leave them out to give everyone a good laugh?
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

15 comments:

  1. Have you seen the book called 'Craft fail'? My blog friend Katie shared a terrible fox-plushie she tried to make on her blog and the author of the book asked her if she'd mind it going into her book! So she's published with her fail! Your cut out idea is so cute and simple and effective. Ha, shame about the previous incarnations. I tend to feel sorry for my craft fails and leave them around for a while so they don't feel too sad!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie, I'll have a look for that. Nice to hear how well treated the fails are in your house!

      Delete
  2. Love these coasters. Thanks for showing how to make them. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you shared your fails! I want to try this, but I am only brave enough because I see how many tries it took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad it makes you feel more confident! It's not unusual for an idea in my head to take several attempt to become a reality!

      Delete
  4. Love how these coasters turned out julie!! I have couple yards of pleather that I don't know what to do and was recently trying to use them in one of my DIY and ended it up, not so good.But your tutorial opens up lot of ideas for me now. And as you said, there are always craft fails, that is the part of crafter's lives, isn't it ? As Kezzie said, the same person who released that book also has a website where we can submit craft fails too, http://craftfail.com check it out. Thank you for sharing your coasters with us @ #HomeMattersParty. We would love to have you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleather is ridiculously hard to stitch on a sewing machine - I haven't shared how I found THAT out! - but it seems like it's going to be so good to make things with! The coat repair and these coasters are all I have managed successfully so far but I still have a bit of it left (and some more in a fab red colour) so I'm still trying to find ways to use it. 'tis a quest!

      Delete
  5. I love a good fail! I tried my hand at amigurumi crochet and tried to design my first bird. It sort of resembled a duck. Sort of. I posted it as a 'look at my manky first amigurumi attempt ' on my blogs facebook page and got a laugh out of some of the reactions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the butterfly coasters and your bedside one is a happy accident.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some days I feel like I have more fails than successes! Still, these lovely coasters were more than worth the journey it took to make them xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your coasters look great. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get a craft project just right. Thanks for sharing on Snickerdoodle Sunday. Pinned and Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. clever ans cute idea. great tutorial, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. \love these coasters, so creative :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look fabulous, I love the bright little butterflies popping through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the gorgeous butterfly detail on these coasters!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.