Friday 25 September 2015

Framed Doily

Framing a pretty doily is a simple and inexpensive way to make art for your wall.

A treasure I unearthed when we moved house was a handmade lace doily. I inherited it from my Mum. I'm sure I remember her telling me she had bought it in Belgium or it might have been Holland. What I can remember is that she had visited a place where ladies were making the lace using traditional cushions, pins and bobbins and bought it directly from them. 
The doily had been used as a tray cloth and has a couple of tea stains. I gave it a gentle wash but the stains are old and seem fixed, I don't want to try anything harsh on the delicate lace. I've decided that the stains give it character and history!
Today I'm joining this month's Pinterest challenge, where a group of bloggers share something they've made, inspired by Pinterest.

I've pinned a few ideas for art made from doilies. 
This from Shey B where a doily has been used as a stencil:

and this from Allison Kreft where rub on transfers have been layered up on a canvas:

Two lovely ideas, but I wanted to display my doily without damaging it at all.
I took an old wooden picture frame, removed the back and the glass, then gave it a couple of coats of gold spray paint (this is going in our cream, white and gold bedroom, the other projects for this room are here, here and here
I laid the doily on a towel and very gently pressed it with a warm iron, just to smooth and even it out. I'm hoping that is not a terrible thing to do - it seems fine and I was very gentle.
Next I took a piece of acid free drawing paper and cut it to the size of the picture frame back.
I cut a piece of thick card to the same size.
I layered up the picture frame back, the card, the acid free paper then laid the doily out on the paper centrally. Finally I popped the clean glass on the top then put the doily sandwich back into the frame. 
The extra layer of thick card helped to push the doily tight up against the glass so it doesn't move even though it's not secured in any way.
The frame was one that everything just slides into so I taped up the open top edge. I don't want dust getting in and onto the doily.

And that's it! It's up in the wall, another piece of art for our bedroom, along with the Geometric DIY art and the butterfly specimen picture.
I'm not sure these photos do it justice, even though it's pressed flat up to the glass, the texture of the lace really shows. 

For more Pinterest inspired projects don't forget to visit the other participants in this month's challenge.


Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

22 comments:

  1. Julie, I love this. It is very elegant and creates just the right amount of beauty in the right room. A great way to display these treasured objects that we would not use otherwise. I had done this many years ago on a large doily that my mom had hand made and for left me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, it is nice to display special things instead of hiding them in a drawer. You're doily your mum made sounds like a very precious thing, how lovely that you can enjoy seeing it without worrying about spoiling it.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful! And I love the history and, yes, character of this piece. I always want the items in my house to have a story behind them, and you did that for certain here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just to pretty to leave in the drawer, now I get to enjoy seeing ti everyday. Thanks for your lovely comment Jamie

      Delete
  3. A perfect way to display and heirloom piece

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very pretty and such a clever idea, it looks great in your room too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely and a wonderful way to preserve and display your mother's doily. Pinned and Tweeted. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really a beautiful doily and I'm sure you cherish the memories behind it. I bought a couple of these when I was in Belgium two years ago. It's a great idea to put them in a frame. Wishing you the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one must have been from Belgium too then. That was my recollection but I know Mum had travelled to Holland too around the same time so I wasn't sure. The work in them is just incredible.

      Delete
  7. It looks beautiful:) the hours that will have gone into first making it, perfect to treasure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - right? I think the ladies who make these have hands that work at lightening speed but how easy would it be to get in a right tangle!

      Delete
  8. Loves lovely! I use doilies as wall decor, too, so I can definitely appreciate this. :) Thanks for coming by the 100th Snickerdoodle Sunday- hope you entered our Amazon Gift Card contest!! And please come back this weekend with your latest makes & bakes. :)

    Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I'm sure I'll be stopping by for the 100th Party.
      Doilies are lovely to look at so it's nice to be able to look at them!

      Delete
  9. These are really beautiful. I love the lacy look of them. My Mom used to make the most beautiful doilies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian, Do you still have any of your mum's doilies I wonder? Do they get used, or are they on display somehow?

      Delete
  10. What a sweet and sentimental keepsake! Thanks for sharing this with us at Merry Monday! We hope you'll join us again next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, I am pleased to be able to have used this doily for something instead of it just being tucked in a drawer.

      Delete
  11. There's something super special about handmade lace. I love that you framed it and turned into art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to preserve a treasure ,Julie. Thank you for sharing with us at #HomeMattersParty. We would love to have you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely! I really love all your projects and as a nice coincidence, I incorporate doily made by my mother into my artworks :). https://folksy.com/items/4444901-Mixed-Media-Painting-Framed-Rustic-Style-Artwork-Shabby-Chic-Art-with-Doily

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey i just been to your website for the first time and
    i certainly enjoyed it, i saved it and will return.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.