Saturday 19 September 2015

IKEA Cactus Gift Wrap

When I bought a cute little gift box trio of cacti in IKEA for my Dad's birthday I knew the packaging was perfect for a little fun gift wrapping.
Ikea cactus trio gift wrap idea
First I want to apologise if this little trio of plants is not available in IKEA where you live. I've been trying to work out on-line which countries they have these in. If you don't have them yet, maybe just pin for later ?!? 

Anyway, I bought a trio for my Dad for his birthday and didn't just want to wrap them in paper, in case he tipped it the wrong way up, and just a bow didn't seem to quite cut it. The cactus is a desserty kind of plant so I thought a little dessert scene would be fun.

First I removed the prickly plants from the packaging and removed the label.
Oh IKEA, why such sticky glue for your labels? I have some great stuff called "Sticky Stuff Remover" which worked a treat, but I've heard people use peanut butter, baby oil or nail varnish remover.
Next I popped on over to Picmonkey and made a Happy Birthday Dad picture, in a font which I think is called Santes Durnant or maybe Dumant???

I printed that onto bright blue paper.

I've shown a couple of different yellow scrap book papers here, I didn't use them all in the end, these were just my possibles.

I cut the blue paper roughly to fit in the plastic packaging, then just pushed it into place, scoring with my fingers to get a good fit.
Once the blue paper was trimmed to size I glued on a yellow paper circle to be the sun. Then I secured the blue paper on the inside back of the packaging with glue dots.
I trimmed another piece of sandy coloured scrapbook paper to be a deserty bit on the front, added a few doodles which are supposed to look like rocks, sand dunes and dessert type plants and then attached that to the packaging front again with glue dots.
To finish I popped the plants back in, punched a couple of holes in the very top and threaded a length of blue ribbon to make a handle. It needed double knots to secure it, a longer length of ribbon forming a double handle might have been better on reflection!
Ikea cactus trio gift wrap idea
Ikea cactus trio gift wrap idea


All the top quality photos in this post were taken by our daughter, you can find her website here
You might also be interested in:
Succulent Cuttings
Succulent Cuttings
Recycled Gift Wrap Ideas
Recycled Gift Wrap Ideas
Plastic Tub to Planter
Plastic Tub to Planter
Cake Making for Absolute Beginners
Cake Making for Absolute Beginners
I'll be linking up at these great link parties
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

10 comments:

  1. That is adorable! What a great idea. I bet your dad loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to repackage this present for your dad. He must have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very creative bit of 'wrapping'. What a lovely idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just returned from Arizona and saw little cactus gifts everywhere. These would be great to make at home. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shall I pretend this was inspired by Arizona? I've never been but I'm picturing desert like scenes in my head, is that right?

      Delete
  5. That is a really beautiful gift and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SWEET!!! Love your blog. Linda @Crafts a la mode

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great wrapping idea! So cute and it really makes a perfect gift. Thanks for linking up at the #HomeMattersParty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool! What an easy way to make it more special.
    Got these cuties at home - love cacti!

    xx
    Mila
    http://milaslittlethings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a unique way to wrap the gift - I'd never have thought of adding a background to the package.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.