Wednesday 31 May 2017

Easy Plant Pot Hack

What do you do when your house plant doesn't fit in the decorative pot you have for it? This is a simple fix I've used for years, you may all know it already but just in case not, let me explain.
Simple trick to make decorative planters a better fit for your house plants
Just the other day I was looking for a pot to put this little cyclamen in. This red bucket was a Christmas gift from a neighbour a few years ago, it had a sweet little glitter covered Christmas tree in it. The tree didn't survive but the bucket is very cute so I held on to it.
Lots of people seem to be planting their plants straight into decorative pots nowadays. I've done that myself occasionally but really I think you are better leaving the plant in it's plastic plant pot and dropping that into something decorative.
  • Better drainage for the plant
  • Your decorative pot won't be damaged being against wet compost. On terracotta the wet seeps through and can lift any paint or unstick glue - been there, done that! Metal tins can start to rust at the joints - been there, done that too!
  • Less mess when your plant needs re-potting or you fancy a swap round
But what if the decorative pot is too big? This is what I do:
Simple trick to make decorative planters a better fit for your house plants
Take a decorative pot, a plant, a piece of foil and a container of some sort. Here I used a little glass pot that had a lovely mini cheesecake in it. What you choose depends on the size of your pots, you might find just an old lid will be enough.

Put the container upside down in the decorative pot...
Easy plant pot hack
Shape the foil roughly into a dish shape and tuck it in on top. Press it to the sides to make it as snug as you can. 
Now pop your plant in on top.
Simple trick to make decorative planters a better fit for your house plants
If your plant needs lots of drainage you can put a layer of gravel or pebbles on the foil first.
Now the plant is up at the right level, the pot is protected from the wet compost and when you water your plant the water will sit in the foil dish and not at the bottom of the decorative pot where the plant can't get it.
Simple trick to make decorative planters a better fit for your house plants
I've done this quite often, especially with those super tall ceramic pots you sometimes get with orchids. They are great for orchids that must not sit in water but not so good if you want to use the pot for something else. An upturned empty yoghurt pot is a good size for them.
It's not life changing I know, not rocket science either, but a simple trick that has helped me out which you might find handy one day.

Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

16 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea! So simple, but so worthy of sharing. I've often used those foam peanuts to give the lift, but it's never even and I have to do some jiggling to get the pot to sit level. Yours is such a better idea...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I nearly didn't bother to share this as it seemed too simple!

      Delete
  2. Exactly what i needed. Our small kalachoe looks funny inside the decorative pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help Zografia, it's not possible to have a plant pot in the cupboard "just in case" for every plant size is it? Sometimes you have to work with what you've got!

      Delete
  3. So simple!! and pretty! Thanks for sharing at the Pleasures of the NW's DIY link party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea Julie, it might not be life changing but it really will make a huge difference in my life. It's one of those ideas that I'll pass onto my kids and friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, not life changing but potentially useful! I hope you find it useful.

      Delete
  5. Such a clever tip Julie I have a pot I must do this with

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really clever idea Julie! I usually don't know what to do with short plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor old short plants! They either get squished in a pot that's too tall or end up just on a saucer usually don't they?

      Delete
  7. Great idea. I had to dig under my deck to find rocks for the bottom of my plant pots. This is a much easier alternative. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanna, I used to do the same but then my plants would be dry and water would be sitting in the rocks at the bottom getting a bit stale & smelly. At least this way the plants can get to any water you might give them.

      Delete
  8. This is a good idea! I love that it's an easy fix. Thanks for sharing with us at Snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.