Sunday 1 September 2013

Easy Peasy Banana Muffins





When bananas go bad in our house (which happens a lot - they either get eaten in 5 minutes or go brown hanging around for a week, I have no idea why) I usually freeze them to use for something else later, smoothies, banana cake or these super quick and super easy muffins. 

This is a tweaked version of a recipe I've had for years, I have no idea where it came from originally, probably a magazine or friend. It's just written out in my cookbook with the changes I've made to it with trial and error.


Banana Muffins
Makes about 15 if you use little paper cases, less if your paper cases are the big size

3 over ripe bananas (yes I know my picture has two, the extra one was already in the freezer by itself)
4oz (125g, 1/2 cup) brown sugar + a couple of spoonfuls for topping extra for topping if you like
1 egg
3oz (75g, 1/3 cup) baking margarine or butter
1 teaspoon of baking powder
6oz (175g, 1 1/2 cups) self raising flour - I use about 5oz white and 1 oz wholemeal but I'm not at all precise about it

  • First set your oven to 180 Centigrade, 350 Fahrenheit
  • Next get your paper cases ready in a muffin/cupcake baking tray. 
  • Mash the Bananas in a bowl with a fork (if they are frozen let them defrost first). Add the sugar and egg and beat with the fork. Melt the margarine or butter then pour it in to the mix. I do this in a mug in the microwave but if you do this be very careful as you take it out as the mug handle can get very hot. Give it all a good stir. At this point it looks pretty disgusting but don't worry, it will all come out good in the end)
  • Add the flour/s and baking powder and give a gentle stir till it's all mixed. You don't want to beat it too much now, just stir enough so you can't see the flour any more.
  • Spoon it into the paper cases, filling each one about 3/4 full (this is pretty approximate, if you put less in each case you will get more but they will be smaller. If you fill them really full though they will spill out over the top, onto your tray and be a pain to wash up afterwards)
  • Now you can sprinkle the top of each with a little bit of extra brown sugar. You don't have to but I like the little bit of crunchy this gives them.
  • Bake them in the oven for about 15 - 20 mins, check they are cooked by pressing the middle of one with your (clean) finger, if it springs back up they are done, if not leave them in for another 5 mins then check again. Always close the oven door gently if you are giving them a bit longer, if you slam it they will sink and be sad.
  • Let them cool for at least 5 -10 mins on a wire rack. They are best still warm from the oven but will last a few days (but not in our house!)



Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.