Saturday 16 September 2017

Autumn Apothecary Jars for free

Introducing just a little autumn or fall decor into your home for free (or almost free)
Today I'm delighted to be joining a lovely group of creative bloggers to bring you the We are Pinnable Blog Hop - Celebrating Fall. More of that later.
I'm not much of a one for lots of 'changing with the seasons" decor. We have Christmas decorations that go up each year and until recent that was about it. Then I was given a glass jar from Ikea which I assume is supposed to be for spaghetti and thought it might be fun to have a little seasonally changing apothecary style arrangement for the dining table. I sourced a couple more jars very cheaply (charity shop and old sweet jar) and this summer they have looked quite pretty in a floral sort of way.
I was very inspired a couple of weeks ago by Leanne from Faeries and Fauna who had shared a whole load of Autumn/Fall ideas to fill jars like these. Check all those ideas out here.
I wanted to fill my jars for free if possible and I almost managed it!
First I went on a foraging mission. We have a small wood nearby so me and my carrier bag went for a walk. I was hoping for conkers but this wood has no horse chestnut trees apparently. Never mind, what it does has is a whole load of oak trees so there were acorns everywhere. I also found some pine cones, not quite as many as I had hoped but some at least.
Things like this can be full of bugs so I spread them all out on a foil covered baking tray and gave them 30 minutes in a hot oven (200c) 
The smell is not as pleasant as you might hope! Not awful but not delightful either. 
The green acorns went a little bit brown in the heat and all the cups fell off.
I threw away the ones that had split and, feeling a bit ridiculous (and hoping no one in the family would walk in and see what I was doing) I used my hot glue gun to stick the cups back on to the acorns.
It worked though, they look cute and very Autumnal! 
As I didn't manage to collect enough pinecones I just mixed them in with some leafy looking pot pourri I already had. I might go on another pine come quest again later. Next time we have some really windy weather I pop out and see what has fallen.
2 down, 1 to go!
My original idea had been pinecones in the tall jar, conkers in the short fat jar and acorns in the little jar. With slim picking of pinecones and a total lack of conkers it was time for a new idea.
I'd been teaching our middle son to make origami cranes the other day and on the TV show Create it Yourself they had filled a Bell jar with origami shapes, so autumnal geometric origami seemed like a plan.
I used coloured paper from old envelopes, I just trimmed them to squares of various sizes.
I used a whole load of Youtube tutorials, some were easier to make than others.
OctahedronCubePaper Diamond (this one is in French and I got in a bit of a hot mess with the glueing but I think that was more me than the tutorial!)& Pyramid.
This one is called Diamond and I found the first one was tricky to put the two colours together, but once I got the hang of it, it was super easy and one of my favourites.
My other favourite is this one, the Fox Box. It uses 3 little squares and was really easy.
Once you start looking on YouTube you can find dozens of great tutorials, these are just the few I found with a quick 'geometric origami' search.
So there it is, I managed to fill these 3 jars ALMOST for free! 
I'm on the lookout for fancier apothecary jars each time I visit a charity shop as these are pretty basic looking. But we are doing this for free/almost free, using what we have instead of always buying new so for now I'm happy!
Update & what can go wrong: 
I found some conkers, just bunged them in the pinecone/pot pourri jar as they were and a day later this had happened:
Turns out drying these kind of things out in the oven first is really important! Especially if you have jars with lids. I've since dried them in the oven in the same way as the acorns and all is well.

Now it's time to see all the other 'Celebrating Fall' projects and ideas:
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

18 comments:

  1. I love your Apothecary jars I must go for a walk in the woods and get some supplies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always take a bag in your pocket when you go for a walk in the woods - that's practically the law! You never know what you might find :-)

      Delete
  2. The origami is such a creative solution. It would also be interesting to look at, its great idea. I laughed when I saw you glue the pods back together, long story but I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did feel silly but the acorns look so much cuter with their cups attached. I only did what I had to do!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, love your apothecary jars! And the paper cubes are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the origami is fun and it was nice to try out a selection of different ones. Some were most definitely easier than others.

      Delete
  4. I have loads of jars like this and only put sweets or food in mine too. I really like how you have managed to make something so simple look so stylish!
    www.vanityandmestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have a pinterest board where I collect ideas but to manage this for almost free was satisfying.

      Delete
  5. Great idea! I love your honesty about the smell of the cooking acrorns. I chuckled at that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't great! I'm smelt worse but it's definitely not the fresh outdoorsy 'walk in the woods' kind of smell that I was half expecting!

      Delete
  6. I love how honest you are. It is fun, relatable and super helpful to hear what worked AND what did not work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise, not every wonderful idea works - sadly that's just how it is. :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh these are all lovely! I especially like the acorns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, I love the Origami! I really love the white leaves in with your pine cones! I have never seen white leaves before. They are very pretty with the pine cones! Thanks for sharing how to fill apothecary jars for free!
    Jeannee @ Centsably Creative

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the origami, what a lovely idea for the jars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea! I have a few jars in the house but I keep my props (stones and pinecones), candles and sweets in them. I think is time for a change :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love apothecary jars and must admit I do tend to decorate with the seasons, a big kid at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that you glued the acorn! Lol and hurray for hunting the backyard!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.