Friday 5 February 2016

Red and White Heart Decoration

A Christmas decoration with a bit missing turned out to be just right for a decoration we can hang all year round.
Red and White Heart Decoration
After Christmas the house can seem a) super tidy or b) a bit bare.
We have a door going from the kitchen to the rest of the house, it's always open and apart from a rather lovely chicken door stop it's a bit plain. I was thinking in January that a wreath of some sort might look nice, maybe something with red flowers (we have red accessories in the kitchen) so I was checking out the sales of Christmas decorations in the shops to see if I could find anything suitable.
We have a shop in the UK called The Range, they basically sell everything apart from food and clothes. By the time I got there their Christmas decoration sale was pretty dire but I did find this:
old Christmas decoration re purpose
It was originally £3.99 and obviously had something hanging in the middle though I have no idea what. I assume something Christmassy otherwise it's not really very festive. I asked if it would be reduced further as it was not all there and got 80% off - I got it for 80p, bargain!
I removed the little metal thing from the centre (I looked them up and it's called a "screw eye" but that seems a bit wrong somehow) and the rope that reminded me of a hangman's noose.
Then I set about decorating it somehow.
I tried to cut a red check scrapbook paper to fit the middle section, I thought I would just glue it on. After 2 attempts (thankfully with scrap paper - no scrapbook paper was harmed in my experiments!) I had to abandon that idea. It was just too hard to get a good fit all the way round.
I thought maybe a really simple design drawn on would work better and that's when I thought of my nail varnish pens. 
I doodled a few ideas then just drew an easy line, leaves and dots design on with the nail varnish pen.
drawing with a nail pen
Turns out it's hard to hold a nail varnish pen and take a photo at the same time - sorry!
I imagine you could get a similar effect with a fine permanent marker pen or paint and a fine brush, I was just using what I had.
red and white hanging heart
A length of red ribbon to hang it and it's done. 
I had already popped a drawing pin on the top surface of the door for a Christmas decoration so I was able to just reuse that, it can't be seen at all and I'm not peppering the door with holes.
Christmas decoration re purposed for all year round
It's got a bit of a Scandinavian feel to it I think, definitely not Christmassy anyway.
If you decorate your house for Valentines day then on sale Christmas decorations might be a great source of materials. In our house we don't really do anything more than a card and chocolates/flowers for Valentines day so I'm planning for this to stay up all year round in a "pretty decoration on the door" kind of way. 
You might also be interested in:
Floating Photo Frame
Floating photo frame
IKEA Cactus Gift Wrap
IKEA Cactus Gift Wrap
Share a Coke With Picture
Share a Coke With Picture
Gold Heart Pot
Gold Heart Pot
I'll be sharing this project at these link parties
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

26 comments:

  1. Great job! You can keep this out all year long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I certainly plan to. I'm just hoping it won't look like I've forgotten to take a valentines thing down but I think not.

      Delete
  2. Julie I absolutely love this! It reminds me somewhat of Scandinavian design. Very pretty and festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, I was pleased with the Scandinavian look it ended up with, I love that style of decoration.

      Delete
  3. How cute this is! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty, the decoration is very Nordic, love it and a great idea. Must admit I trawl the garden centres after Christmas for half price deoc's that can be used all year, lol. Crafters can turn anything into something beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend told me our local garden centre had some amazing bargains, she was buying ready for next Christmas, but some are not necessarily very Christmassy at all. You need to be quick though, the best stuff goes fast!

      Delete
  5. This is lovely, I am working on some hearts at the minute too. Thanks for sharing, found you from handmade monday linkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, it's a very "heart-y" time of year isn't it!?

      Delete
  6. Great work, love the heart and design :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw the first picture at the top of your post, I also thought 'Scandinavian '! I love it. So simple and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, great minds think alike! Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  8. What a great idea to use a nail pen! It looks great perfect decor for February :) #CreativeMondays

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an elegant heart decoration. I have never decorated for valentines day but the more I see the more I am tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I don't do anything special for Valentines in the house, and so this will be staying up for after Feb 14th. I do see lots of very pretty mantelpieces with season stuff and get tempted, maybe next year!

      Delete
  10. Super cute heart! It would look adorable hanging from my kitchen hutch this time of year.

    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity at the The DIY Collective this week! Hope to see you again next Thursday.

    Have an awesome week!
    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley, I love stopping by at your link party.

      Delete
  11. You did a really good job with that, and what a bargain! It looks lovely, well done.
    #CreativeMondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good bargain, but I'm rubbish at negotiating, so I was so happy with this low low price!

      Delete
  12. This is quite the cute Valentine's Heart. It does have a Scandinavian feel too it which I really like! Thanks for sharing at Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop & Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a steady hand. I love it because it is just a little bit different. So glad you shared with us at Merry Monday. I enjoy shopping Christmas clearance for treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great, I do love a good bargain

    ReplyDelete
  15. That heart is beautiful, what a great and simple transformation from a plain heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pili, a year on it's still on the door. I love to see it hanging there every day.

      Delete
  16. That's so cute Julie and you're right it does have a Scandinavian feel to it. Like you, I'd also keep it up all year. After all, love isn't only meant to be shown one day of the year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, Michelle, that's a beautiful thing to say "Love isn't only meant to be shown one day of the year" Amen to that!

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.