Friday 26 June 2015

Scrapbusting Fabric Twine Bracelet

For the Pinterest Challenge this month I've made a bracelet from fabric scraps.
bracelet made from fabric scraps

Some of the products I used to make this bracelet were provided by Pandahall.

Quite some time ago I pinned this idea to make twine by twisting fabric scraps from My Poppet Makes.

Cintia from My Poppet Makes also has some fun ideas of what to do with your twine once you've made it, she's made a mat for the floor but also suggests wrapping presents, making coasters, tablemats and more.
I made a bag full - just because - and then put it to one side, moved house and forgot all about it (like you do...) Then a few weeks ago when I made this ribbon and bead bracelet ...
Ribbon bracelet tutorial
... using ribbon end jewellery findings, I thought of my bag of fabric scrap twine and dug it out.
So if you would like to have a go at making your own fabric twine bracelet you will need:
  • scraps of fabric - longish strips are best
  • a Selection of Jewellery Finding:
  • 2 Ribbon Ends (mine are these silver colour 6mm ones from Pandahall)
  • 2 small round jump rings (mine are these 4mm from Pandahall)
  • 1 larger jump ring (mine is a 7mm oval, from my stash)
  • 1 lobster clasp (mine is this one from Pandahall)
  • strong glue (I used Superglue)
  • jewellery making or small pliers
and
  • to go to My Poppet to find out how to make your twine
Once you have a length of twine, make the bracelet in exactly the same way as the Ribbon and Bead bracelet - the tutorial is here. I used 2 strands of my twine but you could include more if your twine comes out thinner or if your ribbon ends are bigger. You just don't need to add any beads, and I found I didn't need to use the tape to hold everything together either.

I find bracelets very hard to photograph, here is an awkward selfie just so you can see how it looks on (I took loads of these and this is the best - not my greatest photographic achievement!)

When I wear this bracelet I've found I like it best if I twist it before doing up the fastening, the two strands slightly twist together naturally and it lies nice and flat on my wrist. 

My favourite thing about this project is how each and every bracelet made this way will be unique, it all depends of the combination fabric used.
I also love that it uses up scraps, so good for those last precious fragments of a favourite print AND if it gets a bit grubby you can just gently handwash it and it will be good as new.
It would be lovely to make a bracelet to match a dress, skirt or shorts that you've made with the little leftover fabric scraps.

Here are the other great Pinterest Inspired projects in this month's Pinterest Challenge.
Scrapbusting Fabric Twine Bracelets || Sum of Their Stories 
DIY Strawberry Planter ||Refresh Living
DIY No Sew Faux Roman Shades || Dwelling in Happiness 
Wood Pineapple Bowl Revived || Sisters, What!
Mike Wazowski Pinata || Tastefully Frugal


You might also be interested in:
3 Pink Bracelets
3 Pink Bracelets
Earrings Organised Update
Earrings organised Update
Old Bracelet to New Statement Necklace
Old bracelet to new statement necklace
Crocheted owl Brooch
Crocheted Owl Brooch
I'll be linking up at these great link parties,
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Julie, I've never seen this before. Looks fabulous. I do have lots of bits of fabric to use up so I might just try this. Thank you. Maybe for a pull cord in the bathroom. Trina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trina, A pull chord in the bathroom sounds like a brilliant idea, it's a shame to have a plain one when it could be fancy! In our old house we threaded ours with plastic beads, some of them glowed in the dark which was pretty cool if you had to make a quick trip in the night!

      Delete
  2. Love this! Such a great DIY idea! Much better than going and buying a bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! It is a definite pin for me! I don't think your selfie is awkward at all and I think the bracelet looks great! Thank you for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bracelet turned out cute, love the plaid fabric. I have made bracelets similar but I braided mine and added jump rings with beads.

    Thanks for stopping by #OMHGFF this week to share your blog.
    Have a great weekend, Karren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of adding beads on a jump ring. That would be great with a fairly chunky charm with this thick twine that I've made, or lovely for something more delicate if you finer fabrics and make lots of strands of thinner twine.

      Delete
  5. That is such a cute bracelet! Love it! Thanks for popping in to The Dedicated House for a visit! Feel free to share your super fab bracelet tonight at Make it Pretty! Have a great week ahead! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!!! Thanks for linking up at the Weekend Blog Hop at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just pinned this project to do some time between now and when I die. :-) I love this bracelet! And I have tons of little bits of beautiful fabric that would make lots of amazing bracelets. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Pattie, that's my rational for pinning too - one day I will get round to everything I've pinned!!

      Delete
  8. A brilliant idea and using all those scraps is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabric twine is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea, they would be great to make up in different colours to match different outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this! It could match any outfit! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of making twine out of fabric but I love the idea!! I'm going to have to look into it more; is it hard to make? I am quite the novice sew-er (is that a word?!) but I love the look of this bracelet.. I may just have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely isn't it Sydney? When I first saw it I knew I had to make some just to see if I could, it's really easy but not quick. I'd recommend getting everything together then settling down with a good tv program. Of course for a bracelet you don't need much which is a bonus!

      Delete
  13. I LOVE the twine and I also saw how to make it from My Poppet Makes. I LOVE what you made with it, too! PINNING. Best wishes, Linda @Crafts a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twine picture is just so tempting to try isn't it? I've seen it pinned all over the place. I'm pleased to have found something to use mine for (though I do still have quite a bit left!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Hope to see you again soon! Pinned, tweeted...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute! This looks so good. Pinned and tweeted. Thank you for bringing this to our party and we hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a pretty and unique bracelet, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute!!!! Love this for the Mom on the Go look! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.