Wednesday 10 June 2015

Button Envelope

Here is a cute way to give a gift card - make a button fastened envelope for it from lovely craft paper.
button close envelope tutorial
Some of the products I used to make this envelope were provided by Pandahall.com
You will need:
A gift card
Your choice of craft paper (mine is a lovely handmade paper I've had for years with real petals somehow mushed into the actual paper)
2 Buttons - these pretty wooden tree design ones are from Pandahall
Embroidery thread
Scissors, needle & glue


DIY button close envelope tutorial
  • Lay the gift card centrally on the paper and fold around it in all directions
  • Cut away the corners as shown in the 2nd photo
  • Fold the envelope up and mark in pencil where the two buttons will go (the red blobs are just so you can see them!)
  • Cut or punch 2 circles of the paper (from the corner scraps) to reinforce the buttons on the inside
  • Using 2 strands of embroidery thread sew on the buttons, Only make two holes in the paper, make sure you use the same hole each time - you don't want to perforate the paper too much
  • For the lower button just tie off the thread ends and trim
  • For the button on the flap, leave one long end of thread, tie off as before to secure then carefully poke the thread back through one of the holes to the front of the envelope - this will be to wrap round the buttons and seal the envelope
  • Glue the side flaps of the envelope and fold it up
Pop your gift card inside then seal up the envelope by wrapping the long thread round and round the two buttons.

button close envelope tutorial

I love the wooden tree buttons with the textured paper, you could try any combination of papers and buttons and get a totally different look. 
This worked well for a birthday present last week when I just didn't have time to make a separate birthday card, it made the shop's gift card feel just a little bit more special. 
You might also be interested in:
Dictionary Page Card
Dictionary Page Card
Circle Card Crazy
Circle card Crazy
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Photo Earring Gift Card
Photo Earring Gift Card
I'll be linking up this project at these lovely link parties.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

18 comments:

  1. What a fabulous way to give a gift voucher!!! I normally avoid glue at all costs, but I'm sure I could manage this. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I've been trying to think of a way you could stitch this, but I just can't - I think it does have to be glue!

      Delete
  2. This is so cute, Julie. I also like the paper you used for the envelope.

    Hey, if you're interested, I'd love to have you post over on my new blog hop at www.myflagstaffhome.com. It's open all weekend.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful way to package a gift card! I'll be pinning this great idea! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at the #HomeMattersParty this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for bringing this cute project over to the blog hop at My Flagstaff Home. So cute!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is beautiful, so much nicer than the white envelopes although would have to put into one of those for posting as would not want ruined, by the postie's lol. Love the handmade paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, good point. This was one I handed over myself at a birthday meal, I'm not sure I'd trust it to the postman as it is!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful way to present a gift card, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is gorgeous! I have a zillion buttons scattered throughout my house, so this is definitely within reach for me craft wise! Thanks :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so sweet!!

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! I like how modifiable it is for the specific recipient and purpose. I'd love if you'd share this with the Awesome Life Friday link up. :) http://rchreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so incredibly cute! Thanks for sharing with us at the Merry Monday link party. I hope you'll link up with us again next week. Sharing your post on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julia! What a cute and clever idea!! Thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House! It means the world! Feel free to share your post or any other post you might have at my Make it Pretty party. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/make-it-pretty-monday-week-139.html Hope to see you at the bash! Have a lovely day! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet! Pinned. Thanks for sharing at our party. Linda at Crafts a la mode

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a very clever idea, I have major button envy now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love buttons! What a wonderful way to use them! I'd like to feature this post today at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.