Thursday 14 August 2014

Special Date Coin Keyring

I saw this idea somewhere AGES ago (I think it was etsy but I didn't pin so I wouldn't spoil the surprise, I didn't know about private boards then, doh!) and knew I wanted to make it for my husband for our anniversary. A keyring with coins with dates that signify the milestones in your life together - how lovely is that?!

Penny coin key ring with commemorative dates

I started checking the dates of my coins straight away, it took me a while to collect all the dates I needed but luckily I saw this idea almost a year ago so I had plenty of time. 
I found 2 coins for each year so I had a spare - this turned out to be an excellent idea - we'll get to that in a minute!

I went for 5 coins, all pennies, but I have seen this done with different coins. I chose the year we met, the year we married and the year each of our children were born.
I had no idea how to get holes in my pennies so I rang my dad who said "No problem, 5 minute job, pop over this afternoon!" 
Turns out, not so much with the 5 minute job! They spin if you don't hold them somehow, but you don't want to hold them in a vice and damage the edge.
I don't have photos of what we did as I was at my dad's and without a camera, so I have drawn you a little picture of what he fashioned for the job.
Special date coin key ring
It was a block of wood about 3cm wide, 2cm deep and 10cm long. He drilled a penny sized dip in it and cut through the middle to about half way. The penny sat snugly in the dip then the whole thing was clamped in a vice. The wood squeezed the penny but the sides were not damaged. 
  • Each coin had a little starter dent whacked into it with a centre punch and hammer (This was my job!)
  • They went into the wooden hold-y thing above and were clamped in a vice
  • A hole was drilled
  • A larger drill bit was used by hand to go over the holes again on both sides. This took the rough bits off (again - my job)

The coins get extremely hot when you drill them so don't touch them straight away - you have been warned!

What can go wrong: We did have a few fails so I was really glad of my spares. The drill slipped and scratched the coin.
Special date coin key ring
Too close to the edge.
drilling a hole in a coin
The Queen looks like she had been shot in the crown (is this treason?)
drilling a hole in a coin

I used these seconds to make a second keyring for me - no need to waste them!
We also learnt that UK coppers like this changed between 1987 and 1992 from being made of a copper/tin/zinc alloy to copper plated steel. Interesting!

I just slipped the coin for each year that came out best onto a keyring for the anniversary gift.
Special date coin key ring
key ring made from pennies with commemorative dates

I popped it in tissue paper in a gift bag and made a cute little heart tag - awwwh!
heart gift tag

And this is the card I made to go with it.
handmade anniversary card idea

anniversary card and present
The clever people over at Buttons and Paint have also tried out a slightly different version of this idea as a cute Fathers Day gift
They used a different way of holding the coin still whilst drilling, which might work for you. 
I was really pleased how this gift came out and my husband loved it too - which was, after all, the whole point. Oh yes, and thank you dad for your help, this wouldn't have happened without you.
You might also be interested in:
Cardboard Tube Pillow Pouch
Cardboard Tube Pillow Pouch
UK Coin Picture
UK Coin Picture
Button Cluster Key Ring
Button Cluster Key Ring
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
I'll be linking up this project at all these lovely link parties
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

48 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea! I made a penny monogram with the relevant dated coins on the top, so much you can do with a humble penny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sound like a nice idea Alison. I've seen lovely garden ornament or planters too, all covered with pennies which are on my "one day" list. Not so humble after all!

      Delete
  2. OMGoodness what a great gift, I love it! You could use this same gift idea for other date-worthy events too, so many possibilities. Thanks for sharing! (Visiting from the Thrifty Thursday hop)

    ~Taylor-Made Ranch~
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty cool gift idea isn't it? Be nice for an 18th or 21st Birthday maybe, I guess the options are pretty endless.

      Delete
  3. I, like you, saw this idea ages ago and immediately wanted to do it someday, but completely forgot about it, so thank you for the reminder! the drilling does sound a bit tricky, hopefully we'll be able to figure something out :) found you via the Be.YOU.tiful linkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great idea isn't it. I won't pretend the drilling holes was a fiddle - it was - but not completely unachievable either and SO worth it!

      Delete
  4. I love this idea Julia. Your father's pretty smart coming up with that jig - thanks for sharing it with us!
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he was thinking about it after my call and had an idea ready by the time I got there. He's always been good at finding solutions like this.

      Delete
  5. This has got to be the coolest thing I've ever seen! I would love to do something like this for my grands. They always want money from places we visit (Euros, EC, etc.) but they are so young that they sometimes misplace the coins. Thanks for sharing at the Pretty Pintastic Party. I was pinning all the link ups and had to stop and read all about this. I may try doing this on my Hit or Miss Wednesday and link back here, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to do with coins from all the places you have visited - cool idea! I'd love to see how you got on if you do give it a try.

      Delete
  6. Hi! I am visiting from Project Pin It! This is adorable. My anniversary is coming up, and I would love to make this for my husband! What a wonderful gift! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great gift idea to mark special times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it not illegal to deface the queens image?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder about that so I looked it up (on a quick google search mind, I didn't seek legal advice) It seems it has been over the years with penalties varying from £1 to no more 1 year in prison but all previous acts concerning coins were replaced by the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 and there is no mention there about any penalty.
      I guess if you were worried you could make the holes in a part of the coin where she isn't, I've only clipped the top of her head so I'm sure she won't mind.
      I guess every time I open a letter and rip through a stamp then technically I'm defacing the Queens image, I don't think that is an offence.
      For the record I love the Queen!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely idea! It turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the cutest idea EVER! I am so pinning this to make for my 20th anniversary this year, I have been trying to figure out something unique and fun for my husband. It is in December, so I better start looking for coins now. Thank you so much for sharing at Party in Your PJs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the time it took to make, I definitely wasn't in my normal crafting comfort zone with this one. I found 1992 was the most difficult year to find for some reason, maybe they didn't make many pennies that year! It is a bit like school trousers, the shops are always full of all the sizes except the ones you wan!

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful idea - a gift that'll be kept and that can be added to. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super idea! I have inherited some really old coins which had been turned into brooches with the edition on a brooch back , from my Gran.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute! Would be a great Christmas gift too!

    Visiting from SITS~
    www.watermelonrush.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for including the link to our version of the coin keyring! We love how you created a contraption for holding the coin - ingenious! It's lovely that you were able to create a version for yourself as well as your husband :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! I hadn't thought to put a coin on a key chain. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely idea. I can see why you would need the drilling jug though. I wonder if my hubby would get a kick out of this?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fab idea and such a meaningful gift for your other half. Have a great crafty week,
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful and thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a lovely idea. However I don't think I'll be trying it out. I don't fancy trying to drill those coins :) What a clever Dad you have.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this idea...would be a nice idea for my in laws - although I'm not sure we'd find a keyring large enough for 7 grandkids and their wedding year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have a ring with the Grandkid's dates joined to another ring with the other coins maybe, divide and conquer!

      Delete
  21. Really good idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a lovely idea! Thanks for sharing with Tuesday Tutorials #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Julie! I wanted to let you know that I loved your Key Ring so much, that is is one of my featured posts at Party in Your PJs. Thank you so much for joining the party, and I look forward to seeing what you link up this week.
    http://www.thecookiepuzzle.com/2014/08/party-in-your-pjs-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the idea and the concept - I think you could make one for a son or daughter when they go off to college. BTW I found you on the SITS girls linky.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome Idea Julia !!! I am sure I will be making them for any of the future anniversaries of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this idea! It turned out really good. Thanks for sharing with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great idea! I am sentimental and I love to find ideas that make my sentimental keepsakes practical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a sentimental "keeper" to, so I do like to find ways to use things instead of just keeping them in a box.

      Delete
  28. Happy Sunday! Hope you're having a FABULOUS weekend--just wanted to swing by and give you a huge "Thank you!" for linking up at Bewitchin Projects last week--and we've already got the party started again today, so be sure to come link up again here: http://www.ourminifamily.com/2014/08/bewitchin-projects-block-party-week-5.html

    XO
    ~Cathy Mini~
    OurMiniFamily.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I actually find it offensive when someone takes our queen and drills a hole through her image. Sorry it's a patriotic thing I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the coins more closely I guess I could have made the holes either behind her head, or just in front of her forehead depending on which version of her head it is (ie depending on the age of the coin)
      Or maybe this idea is just not everyone cup of tea, which is fine of course.

      Delete
  30. I love these coin key rings. It is a great way to cherish milestone years.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such an fun idea! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time!

    Erin & Emily

    ReplyDelete
  32. These came out so great! I havent tried drilling through metal yet I imagine its kinda hard. Thanks so much for stopping by last weeks Creative Spark Link Party. We would love for you to link up again today! http://bit.ly/1pGnzMf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Michelle, not easy at all, but worth it for this I think!

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.