Thursday 7 August 2014

Simple Felt Needle Case

This is a tutorial for my Simple Felt Needle Case that first appeared in February as a guest post at Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
How to make an easy felt needle case
One of my work friends confessed a little while ago that she only had one needle in her house. One needle, how is that possible? I must have hundreds! What if she looses it? I was very worried for her so I made her a quick little felt needle case with a few extra's in it. I feel better knowing she will be ok now!

It was pretty easy and cute. Would you like to have a go? Here's how:

What you need to make an easy felt needle case

You will need:

Felt (I used 3 different colours but you can use whatever you like)
embroidery thread, 2 little buttons, this pattern and a sharp needle!

Cut out your felt pieces.


I chose for the darker orange to be the outside so attached the flower and one button as marked on the pattern.

step 1 to make an easy felt needle case

The other side looked like this (but it won't be seen so it doesn't matter):
How to make an easy felt needle case

Now layer the other main piece on the wrong side, lining up carefully and pin in place.
How to make an easy felt needle case

How to make an easy felt needle case

Using 3 of the 6 strands of the embroidery thread, blanket stitch around these two layers.
How to make an easy felt needle case

When I get back to the beginning I just do a little oversew stitch to join. I did take lots of pictures of how to blanket stitch but they didn't come out! There is a good tutorial from futuregirl here if you need a bit of help.
How to make an easy felt needle case

Now fold your middle section in half and pin in position where marked on the pattern.
How to make an easy felt needle case

How to make an easy felt needle case
The eagle eyed will notice that in the photo I have positioned mine on the other side. It wasn't till I'd finished that I thought it would be better if this opened like a book!

Using the 3 strands of embroidery thread again, stitch along the pinned line to hold the "pages" in place. 

How to make an easy felt needle case
You are going through 3 layers of felt here so you might find it easier to stab right through to the other side and pull the thread right through for each stitch, that way you get nice even stitches on both sides. I think this is a stab stitch but don't quote me!
How to make an easy felt needle case

Carry on round the whole "square". Hard to describe, the picture shows this best.
How to make an easy felt needle case

How to make an easy felt needle case

Now it just needs the loop fastening. Fold the case up to a square like the photo below (sides in, bottom up, top down!) and using all 6 strands of the embroidery thread this time, come up from the inside where marked on the pattern/shown on the photo below. Don't pull the thread right through, leave an end. Then go round the button and back down just next to where you came up.
How to make an easy felt needle case

Come back up with the thread to the right side and use it to sew the 2nd button on.
How to make an easy felt needle case

On the reverse, tie the ends in a double knot.
The knot looked a bit messy so I covered it with another little felt flower with a few stitches to hold it in place and make a centre.
How to make an easy felt needle case

Pop a few needles in and your done!

How to make an easy felt needle case

How to make an easy felt needle case

How to make an easy felt needle case

Simple and easy. This would be perfect for children or beginner sewers, or the more advanced could put a lot more fancy embroidery on it.
You might also be interested in:
Camera Lens cloth pouch
Camera lens cloth pouch
Lace Top Refashion
Lace Top Refashion
Easy to Sew Top
Easy to Sew Top
Knitting Needle Case
Knitting Needle Case
I'll be linking up at these great link parties.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

63 comments:

  1. so lovely!!! thank you for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This needle case is so lovely! Definitely going to make one! Pinning it! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lilia, it's a very quick little project, I hope you enjoy making and using it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Julie, what a lovely case! Just pinned! Great tutorial, thanks for sharing!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana, your embroidery creations are lovely so that means a lot.

      Delete
  5. This case is so beautiful,love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute, Thank you for sharing this awesome tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe, I'm gonna make some for my nieces:) Pinning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An experiences sewer like you Michele will be able to whip these up in no time.

      Delete
  8. This is so cute! I need to make one for myself!
    - Jennie
    Come join my linkup and share!
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the absolute perfect stocking stuffer for my mom who is an avid sewer.

    The problem is, Julia, I did not inherit that gene, and am therefore liable to screw up the simplest of projects. I think I still have the courage to try this, though...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Luck! Just take your time and keep it simple. I'm sure you will be just fine!

      Delete
  10. So cute! My daughter is reading along with me, and she wants to try this. Thanks for the great tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be a great beginner/less experienced sewers project - I would have enjoyed making this when I was little!

      Delete
  11. Very cute little needle case and beautifully summery colours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a super little project, perfect for carrying around. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. How adorable...I love the cheery orange and yellow felt! Thank you for the tutorial--both the photos and the text are excellent.: ) Thank you, too, for including the link to futuregirl's very helpful blanket stitch tutorial. I desperately need a needle case, and I would love to be able to make my own! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about my tutorial - sometimes it's really difficult to put things into words - which is why I take loads of photos!
      The futuregirl tutorial for blanket stitch is so good I could not have done anything better - why invent mediocrity when you can link to excellence!

      Delete
  14. Aww what a cute idea :) Fantastic photos too, really clear, thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cute project. It would be fun to make with my niece the next time she visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't take too long to make so I'm sure it will be perfect for a young person to make. It's nice to have a sense of accomplishment when starting out crafting, isn't it?

      Delete
  16. This is a really nice project. Would be a lovely gift for someone starting out with sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a good idea, and cute too. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. BOOKMARKED! I think I could do this! Cuuuute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the step by Step instructions here, really well done and a great finished result

    ReplyDelete
  20. Julie - this is awesome! We'd love to have you link it up with the Caffeinated Crafters this week!

    www.chaosandlove.com/tuesday-link-party-11/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woohoo!! So glad you linked this up the best from your blog this week at our Bewitchin Projects block party! Be sure to come back again on Sunday starting at 6am EST over at OurMiniFamily.com to link up your projects again--the linky party runs from Sunday to Thursday each week :D



    ~Cathy Mini~

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like this colorful project. This would make a nifty little gift.

    http://fairiesmarket.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handy for keeping in your desk or handbag for emergency repairs too - maybe a good stocking filler (ahhh what am I doing, it's August - no talking about Christmas for at least a month or two!!!)

      Delete
  23. So adorable! Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. So simple and sweet. Love it! Found you on the sits girls linky (I'm #158). Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is darling and sweet and a fabulous tutorial! AND it's today's feature on Inspire Us Thursday! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Ren, that's so exciting, thanks for stopping by to let me know.

      Delete
  26. Great tutorial, and so glad you rescued your freind from a potential disaster! Only one needle.....stuff of nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just LOVE the bright colors of this project and the blanket stitch. So beautiful! I have maybe...five...needles in my house, so I might be in a little better place than your friend : )

    Thanks for sharing on Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan. Only five, I am a little worried about you too......
      I have dozens, I don't know where they all come from, I think they must multiply in the pin cushion!

      Delete
  28. A super cute needle case, Julia!!! Love the simplicity of it and the bright colours. Fancy only having one needle... LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those of us who sew a lot and have dozens of pincushions and cases stuffed with needles find it hard to believe - I know I did!

      Delete
  29. Adorable! This is such an awesomely fun activity! Thank you for sharing your post with The Natural Homeschool and The Life of Jennifer Dawn Linky Party. :) See you next Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the simplicity of this needle case! Plus, it has the capability for so much individuality with felt colors. Thanks for stopping by Creative Spark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristy. You are so right, the possibilities are endless, you could make it as simple or fancy as you like.

      Delete
  31. That's so sweet - would be a lovely project with children once they are a bit more sewing-literate! I found you via Handmade Harbour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Vicky (lurve Handmade Harbour!)

      Delete
  32. I love working with felt. Your needle case turned out so cute! Found you via your feature on SITS congrats.
    Thanks for sharing how to. Pinning for later. Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa, I love felt too, I tend to forget how much fun it is until I'm making something again and half way through think "why don't I do this more often"!

      Delete
  33. What a fun idea! I don't think I could live with just one needle either. ;) Thanks for sharing at On Display Thursday, come again!
    -Leia @ Eat It & Say Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Leia, it's shocking isn't it?! (and yes, I'd be happy to)

      Delete
  34. Thanks for sharing this, I made one too!
    http://creativechaosart.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/felt-needle-case.html
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, yours is lovely - like mine only with a few design improvements! I feel so proud, you've made my day. Thank you so much for letting me know.

      Delete
  35. I absolutely love this! My sewing needles are in a tiny Ziploc bag and I've been poked one too many times! Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Julie, this is a wonderful project that I am going to make soon! I'm featuring this at the Retro Re-Pin Party starting Tuesday night at 8 p.m. ET.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Cute as a button! Pinned it. In my life, it will be a fairy purse for a granddaughter and me to make together. I couldn't help but laugh at the dear friend who had only one needle! But then one of my adult daughters went without SCISSORS in her house for the longest time until I bought her a few pairs! How can someone live without needles and scissors? We crafty ladies would go nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, a fairy purse sounds like a fabulous idea!
      And yes, my poor poor friend with just one needle and your poor daughter with no scissors - honestly how do these people manage?!

      Delete
  38. Thank you for sharing this with us all. This is so cute, I'm going to make a few for my sister in law and nieces, it would make great Christmas add ins for little gifts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.