Monday 4 August 2014

Party Ideas Blog Post Fail

gold and silver theme party ideas
I am not a very organised blogger. 

I love those posts where people show you lots of great party photos, themed food and decorations, lots of ideas and inspiration. 
So when it was our son's 18th, and we had family & friends dropping in all day and evening I took the chance to photograph the things I prepared, thought I'd make a nice "party ideas" post for you. 
Sadly I was so busy putting food out, making drinks, chatting (imagine that!) that I took zero photos of the finished things. I asked our daughter to take photos during the day and we have great shots of family & friends and not much at all of the lovely table laden with beautiful dishes of goodies.

I'll just share what I do have and try to do better next time!

We went for a Gold and Silver theme. I bought 2 metres of inexpensive gold satin from our local market to use as a table cloth £1.99 per metre so almost as cheap as a disposable cloth but this one we get to keep. (Could have run the iron over it couldn't I?- see photo above - honestly in real life it looked WAY less wrinkled!)
I borrowed some nice silver platters for most of the food and looked for some inexpensive gold bowls for crisps, popcorn etc. In the end I bought some clear plastic bowls, £2 for a pack of 3, and spray painted the outside with gold. 
spray painting bowls for party food
That way the food doesn't touch the paint but the bowls look pretty. (The grass grew and the gold was mowed off - it's all good)
I made cup cakes using gold and silver paper cases, iced them with vanilla buttercream then sprinkled them with gold and silver pearls. 
gold and silver cupcake decorations
I also made some little cupcake toppers based on all Joe's favourite things.
I took images from the internet and just printed them out on nice thick paper.
making cup cake toppers
I've not done this as a printable for you as it is a very personal list of likes, but if you do happen to like Heroes, Maths, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Spiderman, QI, your name is Joe and you are 18 - just ask and I could email it to you!
Some I cut out and some I punched with my circle punch.
making cup cake toppers
Then I just stuck them to cocktail sticks with a little bit of sellotape.
making cup cake toppers

So here are my party post highlights:
gold and silver theme party ideas
Party ideas blog post fail
And see how nice the table looked late afternoon! I think the grape stalks in the foreground look especially fetching along with an empty glass and green plastic Ikea bowl! It's like the kids didn't know there was a sophisticated colour scheme! And we all know that a party isn't a party without a tube of Pringles on the table.
The banner was free and came out pretty well, I've done a proper step by step on that now in case you fancy making one yourself. The cake was also a hit so I'll be sharing some better photos of that soon too.
So expert party planner/blogger - not so much. I do love it when other bloggers share their less than perfect moments though so now you have seen (one of) mine!
You might also be interested in:
Using Sketches for Card Making
Using Sketches for Card Making
Cake making for absolute beginners
Cake making for absolute beginners
Washi Tape Berry Baskets
Washi Tape Berry Baskets
School Reunion Cupcake Toppers
School Reunion Cupcake Toppers
I'll be linking up this project at all these lovely link parties
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

18 comments:

  1. Found this at Motivational Monday. Looks like it was a perfect party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a total party WIN! For once I don't feel completely intimidated. Thank you so much for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mantha, yes the party was great, it's just my mad blogging skills that are a little lacking!

      Delete
  3. Wow I'm so impressed!! I've been never good preparing parties! Me and my husband normally tend to plan everything in the last minute...and then the guests always come while we are still cooking or whatever! Thanks so much for these great ideas! It makes me want to throw a party right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ingrid, thanks for stopping by. I'm ok with planning in advance, things just get away from me at the last minute!

      Delete
  4. LOL!! I totally just did this for my daughters Baby Shower last week!! Hopefully I will find enough to post about too!! Thanks for sharing...you made me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what I love most about this party, you were so involved making sure that your son had a great day and your guests were entertained that you didn't think of blogging. More people should do this. Congrats on a successful job, pretty decor and being in the moment with family and friends. DO NOT feel bad about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel, we did have a great time and yes, I did not think about blogging at all that day!

      Delete
  6. Wow that table looked amazing. What a great party that must have been! Love your blog...just subbed. :)
    Carolann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that banner! Such a cute idea for a shower. Thanks for sharing with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're hilarious! Looks like you had a great party. I love the banner and the personalized cupcake toppers. And the pringles can was a nice touch too :). -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I'm always telling the kids how funny I am!
      We always have Pringles at a party and somehow the tube always ends up at the back of the table.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you, your son, and your guests had a great time. That's what really matters. I know with your talents that it was beautiful and delicious! That cake is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like your son had an awesome party. I love that banner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet your son loved the party no matter how many pictures were taken! Thanks for sharing on Hump Day Happenings : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahaha, Julie this is the story of my LIFE!! LOL. Honestly, every single party I host never gets photographed properly. I am sure it was a gorgeous party and one that your son really appreciated. You are a great mom! - Bre @ Average But Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that you spray painted the bowls! If you can't find them paint them! Thanks for linking up at the creative spark link party we hope that you will link up again today! http://bit.ly/1l2qbE8

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.