Sunday 13 July 2014

Using Sketches for Card Making

Easy home made card ideas from sum of their stories
If you like making lots of greeting cards or have a lot to make in a short time it can be hard to keep thinking up new designs and ideas. That's why lots of card makers use sketches and then just tweek them to make unique cards.
So I thought I'd try, with some papers that came with a craft magazine, making a pretty card and a not so pretty card using the same basic layout or sketch just to see how completely different they can turn out.  
These were my quick sketches:
simple greeting card sketches
And this is what I made:
Using Sketches for DIY card making
See what I mean, apart from the circle with the message on the left card they are the same. That means only one lot of creative thinking for two cards!
two different cards form the same basic sketch
How to make different cards using the same basic sketch
Simple bunting birthday cards
Actually this last one is not the same sketch but it is the same basic idea - circles of paper folded over bakers twine to make mini bunting. I'm just sharing them because they are cute!
I nearly called this post Boy Cards v Girl Cards but then stopped myself as that would be horribly old fashioned and sexist wouldn't it?! 
Of course the other thing you can do for card ideas and designs is have a little peek at Pinterest - there must be a kabillion on there! I have a few on my Card Ideas board to get you started.
You might also be interested in:
Personalised Wedding Picture
Personalised Wedding Picture
Dotty Card Tutorial
Dotty Card Tutorial
Circle Card Crazy
Circle Card Crazy
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
I'll be linking up this project at all these lovely link parties, pop over for a look at loads of projects from other blogs

Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

15 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your sketches! I draw out almost everything I do and it helps me so much to get prepared for projects and stay focused.
    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great bunch of cards love the space one my grandson would love that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen lots of card sketches, but not really felt brave enough to try them out, yours are great though - I tend to get stuck in the same few ideas,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't really sure how they worked until I tried it out, then it made perfect sense.
      I was really surprised how different but still the same they look. Does that even make sense?!

      Delete
  4. these are so cute. I'm hopping over from the frugal crafty home blog hop. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made my own cards in a long time. I don't have a card making machine yet, would probably be a good addition to my supplies. Thanks for sharing with Creative Style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a card making machine either April, in fact I don't know what that is! What I have is blank cards, lots of paper supplies I bought, been given or saved from the bin over the years scissors, a few paper punches and glue. That's one of the things I like about papercrafts, you really don't needs lots of expensive equipment (although I do have a nasty case of silhouette machine envy!)

      Delete
  6. Wow! I totally love it! Thank you for joining with us #Pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I used to scrapbook, I would do sketches like this to plan a layout. What a great idea to use it for making cards! Thanks for linking up with Hump Day Happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the cards look great. As a new card maker I find sketches to be so helpful. They give you a great starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Love the cards! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time!

    Erin & Emily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that you plan out your cards! True visionary. Thanks for linking up at the Creative Spark Link Party! I hope you will stop by again today to link up! http://bit.ly/1kbGQ7W

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cards look beautiful! I love how you planned them out before hand. Thanks for sharing at On Display Thursday!
    -Leia @ Eat It & Say Yum

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.