Monday 28 July 2014

Rings and Things Dishes

I love the beautiful little dishes I keep seeing cropping up on craft blogs and pinterest. The ones to pop your rings, earrings or other little bits and pieces in when you are not wearing them, so they don't get lost.
Tutorial how to make little dishes for rings and things
When I got married I wore my rings all the time, then about a month after our wedding I got an itchy red patch on my finger underneath them. (very attractive!) I started taking them off at night - problem solved. I used to just put them on top of my jewellery box, but now and again I got a nasty scare in the morning when they had somehow been knocked and I couldn't find them for a minute or two. I needed a little dish for my rings. 
At this point I should say it has only taken me 22 years to realise I need aforementioned dish - bless, sometimes it takes a while for me to catch up!
Thermomorph tub
Rizzi at ThermoMorph sent me a tub "for freeeee!" (Bedtime Stories anyone? No - never mind, actually quite a sweet funny film though)

ThermoMorph is a mouldable plastic that comes as a big tub of little white pellets (Apparently the proper name for them is Polymorph Granules) The nail varnish in the photo is to give a sense of scale, so you can see how big this tub is. I could have used a more traditional coin or ruler but the nail varnish was handy!
You pop a couple of spoonfuls in a bowl of almost boiling water and watch the pellets go clear and stick together. Then you can make stuff with it. 
Thermomorph
This is what it looks like when it's not quite ready to use, see the remains of the pellets not quite all clear yet. 
The good news - As it cools again it hardens so you don't need to bake it or cure it. If you go wrong you simple heat it up again and have another go - nothing is wasted. 
The bad news - As it cools again it hardens so you have to be pretty quick with it.
Once set it's a bit like those white plastic chopping boards in feel and texture. In the course of my experiments I discovered I could heat it up with my hot air gun (that I use with embossing powder normally) I found this much easier than hot water but it's not essential.

Thermomorph
Anyway, let's get on to the making bit. I needed a little dish, I had a big tub of stuff to play with.
I heated about 2 tablespoons of the ThermoMorph pellets for each dish I made and used a shallow metal dish as a mould. This dish is actually part of my spoon rest that lives next to the cooker, it was just the right size for this.
First I tried rolling it with a rolling pin and cutting it out using cookie cutters. It kept setting before I was ready and I had to keep reheating it, however I was able to cut a flower shape.
using thermomorph
Once it was set I just went round it with a craft knife to tidy it up.
using thermomorph
Then I warmed it up again just enough to be able to shape it into my spoon rest bowl mould. No photo of that sorry, you'll have to imagine!
To make the round dishes I found that just taking a lump of the clear warm ThermoMorph and pressing it into shape in the dish with my fingers worked best for me.
Using thermomorph to make a ring dish


It only takes a few minutes to cool and harden completely.
Then they were ready for painting. I used blue and copper acrylic paint and gold spray paint. They all needed a couple of coats. These paints covered really well and seem tough as old boots.

I did try a matte pink acrylic paint on one though that was a disaster, I could just scratch it off with my nails :-(
painting fail
The gold needed a little extra bling I thought, so I Mod Podged all over and sprinkled it with glitter (in a plastic tub of course, but despite that, every member of the household had glitter on their face at some point in the next few days - how does that even happen?)
glitter to dish with mod podge
It had two coats for extra bling and then a coat of Mod Podge so it doesn't moult glitter everywhere it goes!
using glitter and mod podge
Tutorial how to make little dishes for rings and things
The gold is just so gorgeous and sparkly!
Tutorial how to make little dishes for rings and things
The copper one is more sophisticated I think, with a rough almost hammered metal effect.
Tutorial how to make little dishes for rings and things
The flower one had blue paint inside and the copper on the outside.
Tutorial how to make little dishes for rings and things
This is the one I'm now using on my dressing table.
Tutorial how to make little dishes for rings and things
If you fancy having a play with ThermoMorph you can get it from Amazon. It costs £19.95 ($19.97) for a 500g tub. 
It seems quite expensive for a tub but I've made loads of stuff with it and barely made a dent.
Thermomorph tub
See that flat bit in there, that's an off cut of something else I tried, you can just bung the little bits back in and melt them again next time. You'll see this product cropping up again, I've made quite a few things with it.
Originally I was going to try to make a little dish from clay, I've collected some inspiration on my "Make it - everything else" board. The ThermoMorph version is not so easy to imprint on but I have no worries about it cracking or chipping and as I can be pretty clumsy sometimes that seems like a bonus.
I may still try a clay bowl one day, maybe something a little bit bigger but now I can rest easy knowing my rings are safe at night!
You might also be interested in:
Cardboard Tube Pillow Pouch
Cardboard Tube Pillow Pouch
Patchwork Gift Box
Patchwork Gift Box
Personalised Wedding Picture
Personalised Wedding Picture
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
I'll be linking up this project at all these lovely link parties, pop over for a look at loads of projects from other blogs
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

31 comments:

  1. These are really cute! I love the copper one! So many great uses! Thanks so much for linking up to Hour Designs This Time! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I've never seen anything like that. What a cool idea. I loved to see the process pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun stuff to use Heidi, I kind of felt like I was doing a science experiment whilst I was using it!

      Delete
  3. I love Bedtime Stories too! Never heard of this product but if I can find it over here will definitely get it. I was just wondering how you get it out of the hot water once the pellets have all come together. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our house we can't say "for free" without doing it in the Bedtime Stories way, I wasn't sure if anyone else would get it!
      The water you use is just off the boil, the pellets go in then take a few moments to go clear and stick together, by that time I could just reach in with my hands, though the first time I did use tongs. The more I used it the braver/more foolish I got. It is all pretty warm still but not so hot it will scold you. I've put the links for Amazon.com and .co.uk if you are interested, not sure where you are.

      Delete
  4. This looks like fun stuff - I've never used it! Love the glitter gold one especially :)
    #Pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I've been planning on making a glittery bowl for my keys and things at home #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. To start with I just put glitter round the rim of the bowl, but then it was just so pretty I ended up coating the whole thing. The Mod Podge layer really does seem to stop it coming off all over everything.

      Delete
  6. I really like that copper one! Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love spraying things gold but I am finding that this copper paint I have is ending up on more and more things!

      Delete
  7. Julie, these are so cool!!! I have never heard of this ThermoMorph stuff - incredible. I know you say the bronze one is more sophisticated, but I would take the gold, blinged out one in a heartbeat! :-) P.S. Thank you SO much for the sweet note you left on my blog today. In case you don't see my reply, it made my day. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bre, there is nothing quite like a bit of bling is there?!
      I loved your home tour and have popped back and seen your reply. I do tend to ramble on a bit in my comments some times but I always say it how I see it!

      Delete
  8. This is so fun!! I have never hear of or seen something like this before. I will definitely need to get myself some of this! I am on a huge bowl obsession right now (how many bowls does a girl really need?) and I love how you made these. Pinned! If you have the time you should share it at the Party in Your PJs link party! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Bree, The Party in your PJ's party is on my list so I'll be stopping by. Though with the time difference I am in fact in my PJ's now and will be fully dressed when your party goes live!

      Delete
  9. Well that is just fun stuff! Love the jewelry bowls, I have to take my rings off when I was my hands so I have little containers next to every sink. Thanks for linking up to the Be. YOU. tiful link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, I could put one of my spare bowls by the sink, now which one shall I choose.....?!

      Delete
  10. What a great idea! I especially love the copper one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are adorable! I recently got engaged so I really need to make a few of these and scatter them around the house before I lose my ring haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need a safe place Whitney, it's horrible for that minute when you think they are lost!

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful project on The Inspiration Board at homework. I loved your project and featured you today!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    carolyn ~ homework

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you Carolyn, you have so many great projects on your blog, I am very proud to have been included today.
      Thanks for letting me know too, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  13. "for freeeeee!" Ok I think we must have the same taste in movies and shows! :D Girl I love these little bowls! Um I need some moldable plastic yesterday! That stuff looks very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice when someone else gets your joke! So many times I say something that would be hilarious at home with the family, then I look round at blank faces and realise these people don't know the background to why that's funny!
      I'm sure I've only just scratched the surface of the things that can be done with this stuff, I have had fun playing with it though!

      Delete
  14. So super cute! I definitely need something to place my rings. I don't wear my rings at night either. They are placed where ever I take them off....kitchen, bathrooms....

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are great and what fun to make! I invite you to share at my Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop ( you can link up through Sat) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. very pretty- love the copper one! good idea and good makes :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look fabulous, the thermomorph sounds like a really exciting product to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These all look awesome--but I think my favorite one is the gold one!!

    Thanks for linking up to our Betwitchin Party! Be sure to come back every Sunday starting at 6am EST over at OurMiniFamily.com to link up your projects again! 



    ~Cathy Mini~

    ReplyDelete
  19. These turned out great. Thanks for sharing @DearCreatives party! Hope to see you again this week. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha, I know this is an old post but yes, thus is a great idea. I had a horrid moment at school where I had to take my wedding ring off for playing a djembe at school (I always insist that my kids take all watches, bangles and bracelets and rings off but was hoist by my own petard when they reminded me I should take my own ring off!!!!) I balanced it on the edge of my whiteboard and forgot about it until that evening!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I assume you got it back ok? What a horrible thing to remember when you can't do anything about it!
      I don't think I'll ever go back to not having a safe place for them, it's just so automatic every night when I take them off to pop them in their little dish. I am using the gold sparkly one now though as it matches our bedroom better now we've moved house.

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.