Tuesday 22 July 2014

My Mum's Chocolate Cake Recipe

My Mums chocolate cake recipe
When I was growing up my brother's favourite cake was Chocolate Cake, so pretty much every year, on his birthday my mum would make Chocolate Cake using this recipe. It's really delicious and moist, not a bit dry like chocolate cake can be.
She never decorated it like I have here, that was for our daughter's birthday last year, but the icing is the one she always used to. (This decorating was inspired by this beauty that I found online and pinned. Actually this is a bit embarrassing because if you check out the inspiration you can see how woefully short I have fallen from it. I had a few technical difficulties cutting the Minstrels in half. Still if you don't peek at that one mine looks ok - it's all relative!)


My Mum's Chocolate Cake Recipe
Makes 1 x 8" cake (with 2 layers)

You can get a simple version of the recipe (cake & icing) to print here


7oz Self Raising Flour (200g or 1¾ cup)
2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
7oz Caster Sugar (200g or 1 cup)
4 oz Margarine or Butter (115g or ½ cup)
1 teasp Vanilla Essence
2 Eggs
5 tbsps Evaporated Milk
5 tbsps Water

You also need: A mixing bowl, a jug, a wooden spoon, 2x 8” round cake tins
oven: 160 c/320 f/gas 3
First you need to get your oven on to heat up, wash your hands and then grease and flour/line your tins.
My Mum's cake tins
I am super lucky as I have inherited these awesome cake tins from my mum. You don't have to line them with baking paper as they have that clever little swively bit that stops the cake from getting stuck in the tin. I cannot describe how much I love these tins and how much pleasure I get from using them. My mum always greased and floured them so that's what I do. If you are not so lucky then I'd recommend lining the bottom of the tin with baking paper so it doesn't all stick.
Next pop the flour, cocoa powder and sugar in a bowl. 
My Mum's chocolate cake recipe
Chop the marg/butter into chunks and add to the flour mix.
My Mum's chocolate cake recipe
Now this is where the method is so different from the regular sponge recipe. You rub the fat into the flour mix, like you would if you were making pastry.
My Mum's chocolate cake recipe
If you've not done this before, you just sort of lift the fat up and rub it with your finger tips, letting it drop back into the flour. You just keep going till it looks like this.
My Mum's chocolate cake recipe
When you think it's done, give the bowl a good shake and all the lumps will rise to the top.
My Mum's chocolate cake recipe
How does that work then? I think it's magic, my son says it's science! Just rub the lumps in too.

Next mix the eggs with the evaporated milk and water in a jug, just combine them with a fork,
My Mum's chocolate cake recipe
then pour in to your flour/fat mix.
My Mum's chocolate cake recipe

Give it a mix with the fork till it's combined.
My Mum's chocolate cake recipe
Then pour it into your prepared tins.
Bake for  30 - 40 minutes until it looks like this.
chocolate cake
To tell it's done you just open the oven door and carefully reach in an press lightly in the middle of the cake. If it leaves a dent like this...
chocolate cake
...carefully close the oven door and give the cake another 5 minutes, then test again.
Cool on a wire rack then get ready to decorate. My mum always used this fudge icing recipe.
Fudge Icing
 Makes enough to cover the inside and top of your 8" round cake
Printable version here
2½ oz Margarine or Butter (70g or 1/3 cup)
4 tbsps Cocoa Powder
8oz Icing Sugar (225g or 1¾ cup)
3 tbsps Milk
1 teasp Vanilla Essence

You will also need: a mixing bowl, a mug, a wooden spoon and a sieve

  • Melt the marg and add the cocoa powder
  • Heat the milk in a mug in the microwave till hot but not boiling
  • Add the milk and vanilla essence to the marg
  • Sieve in the icing sugar and beat till thick and smooth
No photos of the Icing making process sorry, don't know what happened there. I'll photograph and add them next time I'm making this one. It's pretty straightforward anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Use half the icing to sandwich the layers together and the other half on the top. Swirl it round a bit, and add what ever else you like. 

Here I used White and Milk Chocolate Buttons, Minstrels, Maltesers and piped a bit of melted white and milk chocolate.
chocolate cake simple decoration


This is the same cake from a few years back, funnily enough decorated with exactly the same sweets!
Easy moist chocolate cake recipe

This is the version my 2 teenage sons made for my Birthday earlier this year. Shoot, now you can all guess how old I am (and see how we like to reuse candles in our house!)
Chocolate cake teenage boys can make
Of course you don't have to add anything extra, it's perfectly nice with just a swooch of icing!
You might also be interest in:
My Nan's Shortbread Biscuits
My Nan's Shortbread Biscuits
Easy Peasy Banana Muffins
Easy Peasy Banana Muffins
Easy Cake Decorating Ideas
Easy Cake Decorating Ideas
Cake Making for Absolute Beginners
Cake Making for Absolute Beginners
I'll be linking up at these great link parties
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

36 comments:

  1. My husband's family has a good chocolate cake tradition, but this one is a winner!
    I love the fun shapes and designs of the chocolates.
    My birthday is on Friday. I want this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday for Friday Tamara, hopefully someone in the family will take the hint and make you a lovely Chocolate Birthday Cake.

      Delete
  2. I love chocolate cake, and this looks easy to follow recipe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Agy, especially with a nice cup of tea! It is a very simple recipe, just takes a few minutes longer than a "bung it in together" recipe because of the rubbing in, but worth it!

      Delete
  3. Wow that is so yummy looking! It is so petty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love everything with chocolate....
    Your blog is lovely...
    Thanks for your visit...
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. This look so tasty and amazing! Love chocolate + cake, this is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great, and I love the three ways it is decorated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I'll let the boys know you approve of their efforts!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous and rich chocolate cake - just the way I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Winnie, now that is a compliment coming from you, I know your recipes and they are amazing!

      Delete
  8. I love the way it's decorated! I would eat this cake in a heartbeat, it looks that good! :-)
    Cathy @ three kids and a fish

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does it give away my age if I say I remember those cake pans? I didn't go look at your pinspiration so I wouldn't compare...yours looks awesome...love the decor!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bobbi, your self control is impressive! I don't know why no one is making these cake tins any more, they are so good. I would buy new ones in every size possible!

      Delete
  10. I'm a sucker for chocolate cake. Give me a fork, I want to dive into it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks toally delicious, I shall definitely be having a go at that once I've moved house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lucy, cake baking and moving house don't go especially well together - I expect all your cooking things are packed. Maybe for a house warming party?

      Delete
  12. Yum! This cakes looks so so good! I definitely will have to try the recipe. The decorations are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm assuming you didn't click the link to see what it's was supposed to look like either! It's all relative! If you do try it I'd love to hear if you like it as much as we do.

      Delete
  13. Ooh, that looks so decadent! Will have to make for my next party :) Thanks so much for linking up at Link It or Lump It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, decadent is a good word! It is really rich and moist.

      Delete
  14. Thanks so much for joining the Say G'Day Saturday linky party this week. I've just pinned your post to the Say G'Day Saturday board.

    Best wishes for a great week.
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Family recipes are so special! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are aren't they? I love making the tastes of my childhood for my kids.

      Delete
  16. Love the decorations! That is usually my downfall to baking! Thanks so much for linking up at the Creative Sparks Link Party. We are live again today so stop by and link up! http://bit.ly/1pEMI5A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you see Michelle, just lob a load of sweets on - job done!

      Delete
  17. I love chocolate cake! It sounds delicious. Thanks for linking up at On Display Thursday.
    -Leia @ Eat It & Say Yum

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hiya Julie!

    Your cake looks perfect! I am a chocoholic, so I highly approve this recipe ;)

    Thanks for linking up at the Bewitchin Projects party this week! I can't wait to see what you link up again next week over at OurMiniFamily.com!

    Cheers,
    ~Cathy Mini~
    OurMiniFamily.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of you to say Cathy, sometimes it just has to be chocolate doesn't it?

      Delete
  19. All of them look very very scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love chocolate cake! This looks amazing. It looks like it belongs in a bakery! So nice of you to share this special recipe with us. Thanks for sharing it at the Creative Style Linkup, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittnei, I'm not sure it's quite bakery standard in looks - maybe in taste!

      Delete
  21. The cake sounds delicious and I love the decoration, it's wonderful.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.