Wednesday 8 November 2017

Chocolate Chip & Orange Porridge Oat Cookies

Mix, bake and cool slightly, these chocolate chip and orange flavour porridge oat cookies can be ready to eat from start to finish in about 30 minutes.
I don't know if a Terry's Chocolate Orange is a specifically British thing or if they are available worldwide but I do know in my family Christmas is not Christmas without a Chocolate Orange. "Don't tap it, Whack it" "One of my 5 a day"  and "It's not Terry's it's mine" are all common catch phrases linked to this most Christmassy of treats.
So for me chocolate and orange just go together, especially at this time of year and I've been experimenting with a family favourite cookie recipe to give them a chocolate orange twist.
You might notice I am calling these cookies too, not biscuits as I should do, being an English girl and all. They are quite cookie like though I think as they are slightly chewy inside.

Chocolate Chip & Orange Porridge Oat Cookies

Makes between 25 and 30
230g Baking Margarine or butter
230g caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tsps orange essence
300g SR flour
150g porridge oats
Zest of 1 orange (optional but makes it more orangy)
100g plain chocolate chips
100g milk chocolate chips
100g chocolate for decoration
* you can get an easy print version of this recipe with a conversion to cups too here.

Heat the oven to 180 c   350 f   gas 4

Beat the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. If you have a lovely food mixer use that (you lucky thing you!) or use an electric hand whisk or a wooden spoon.
Beat in the eggs and orange essence.
Stir in the flour, porridge oats, chocolate chips and zest if using.
Mix until it forms a stiff dough and you can't see the flour anymore.
Use a desert spoon to spoon out blobs of mixture and roll them lightly in your hands. Place them on the baking tray and press lightly with a fork to flatten them slightly.
These cookies don't really spread very much as they cook so whatever size/shape you make them now is pretty much how they will end up.
Bake for 12 - 15 minutes until golden brown, then cool on a cooling rack.
Melt the remaining chocolate and drizzle over the cookies to finish.
Enjoy!
I'll be sharing this recipe at some of these linkups.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

14 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm. These look so yummy! Such a great recipe. Thanks for sharing Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange and chocolate is my husband's favourite combination so I might try it this weekend :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh these look ad sound so delicious. With you on the Terry's thing have to have at Christmas and love the individual segments you can now get. Will be trying out this recipe this week as always have loads of porridge oats in the cupboard. Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these look fab and I can use gluten-free oats and flour too. When we first moved to New York, I used to ship Terry's chocolate oranges over at Christmas for my husband, he's crazy about them and the last 5 years or so they started to be pretty easily available. Wonder if I'll be able to get hold of them as easily in Florida this Christmas, will have to see?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kind of biscuits! They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate and orange work so well together. I love the drizzled chocolate on top #CreativeMondays

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound great. Love chocolate and orange flavours :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays. Hope you can join us again soon.


    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chocolate and Orange and I could easily make these gluten free which makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, my sons go absolutely gaga over chocolate oranges. They will love these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this looks so delicious! I've never used orange essence before and it really appeals to me. Definitely a recipe I'd like to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cookies look delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe at Sew It Cook It Craft It!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never tried this combination of flavors, but oh my, it certainly sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing at Party in Your PJ's!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.