Wednesday 12 July 2017

Christmas Ornament Recycling

Got an old broken Christmas bauble? Here's how you could turn it into an all year round decorative ball.
Up date a broken Christmas ornament for all year round
What are these things called? Decorative balls, deco balls, ornamental spheres? I'm not sure but I know lots of people like to have a dish of them on the mantelpiece or side table.
We have a decorative dish with miscellaneous bits and pieces collected over the years so when one of our larger Christmas baubles had lost it's hanging bit, rather than just throwing it away, I gave it a little makeover so it can be on show all year round.
upcycle a broken christmas ornament
It was really simple, cost next to nothing and looks pretty.

To do the same you will need:

An old Christmas bauble or similar sphere (I guess you could splash out and buy a polystyrene ball at a push)
Mod Podge or PVA glue
A paper napkin/serviette
A paint brush
White paint
A cocktail stick or skewer
christmas ornament upcycle
Rip your paper serviette into pieces.
Stab the ornament with the cocktail stick to form a handle, then paint the whole thing with white paint and let it dry.
This give a nice base for the floral serviette, if you miss this step the colours from the old ornament can show through a bit.
Next apply a layer of Mod Podge and apply the pretty floral paper serviette pieces. As the serviette is very flimsy just dab it on, don't fuss it too much. Less is more here!Christmas ornament recycling
Finally cover with another layer of mod podge to seal and leave it to dry. I stabbed mine into my pin cushion as you can see.
Once it's dry remove the cocktail stick and you are ready to pop your new decorative ball/sphere on display.
Christmas ornament recycling
Our bowl has an eclectic mix, some bits of pot pourri, shells, beads, a metal wire mandala relaxation thingy (that I bought in a street market in Saint Tropez in 1986 and thought was the coolest thing ever!) and a wooden egg that belonged to my nan. No idea what the wooden egg was for but I like it! 
Christmas ornament recycling
recycle broken Christmas ornaments to enjoy all year round
These are affiliate links, if you make a purchase when clicking through from here Sum of their Stories will receive a small commission. The cost to you is the same.
Shop this post UK:


Shop this post USA:

Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

26 comments:

  1. Good idea! :) Your project turned out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your upcycled ornament. Good choice in pattern for the paper too. Pinned and shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really pretty isn't it. I brought it home from a friends anniversary party - she has great taste!

      Delete
  3. This is so cute & interesting idea. Thanks for sharing with us :) Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ModPodge, your ornaments are great, I bet the tree was beautiful!!
    Thanks for sharing on #OMHGFF this week.
    Pinned and Tweeted.
    Hope you come back soon!
    Have a great weekend!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wooden egg may be a darning egg. You put it inside a sock while you are repairing the hole. The decoupaged ornament turned out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting, I've always thought it was an odd thing for my Nan to have had - now it all makes sense! Thanks so much for letting me know.

      Delete
  6. This is such a clever idea! It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was pretty easy and I am pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  7. Great upcycle, I like your paper napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea, we end up with broken baubles every year because of Shiloh's tail, lol. Now instead of throwing away will give this a go. Thank you for sharing Julie, have a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could end up with a whole bowl fun if Shiloh is very boisterous (I'm assuming Shiloh is a dog!)

      Delete
  9. Must get my hands on some modpodge. Looks great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you have some you really do want to decoupage all the things! It's very addictive. It seems quite expensive for a tub of glue but it really does last for ages and seems to do the job better than any other similar pva I've tried.

      Delete
  10. Cute idea. I love revamping old ornaments into something new.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Napkins and Mod Podge are my jam! Love this idea of repurposing old ornaments! So glad you shared it with us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know lots of people make all sorts of beautiful things with paper napkins and Mod Podge - seems like it is a winning combination!

      Delete
  12. I love the ideas that you have for upcycling. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise, I like the idea of giving things a new life if possible rather than automatically throwing things away.

      Delete
  13. Upcycling and napkin decoupage, two of my favourite things - Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make you look round the house and think about what else you can decoupage napkins onto doesn't it?!

      Delete
  14. Great makeover. I have stash of Christmas ornaments in my to do stash to change the colours on. This is a great inspiration. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to give them a new look instead of just throwing them away or donating them isn't it?

      Delete
  15. Julie they are so pretty and I love that you used napkins - I have those napkins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber, they are pretty napkins aren't they? I got this one from a friends anniversary party - she has excellent taste!

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.