Wednesday 25 June 2014

SHARE A COKE WITH picture

Share a Coke with bottles with your name on them are fun to try to find, but then what do you do?
make a picture from Share a Coke with labels
I don't know if this is a world wide thing, but last year here in the UK we had the shops full of coke bottles with names on them. Like most kids, mine found bottles with their names, drank the pop..... and then we kept them on the side in the kitchen! 

Share a Coke With label picture
And there they've sat for best part of 8 months! I thought I would think of a brilliant and creative way to use them - humm! In the end I realised it is the label that is the fun bit and also the bit most likely to get damaged just sitting on the side. So I made them into a "Share a Coke with" picture.
I carefully unstuck the labels (they are kind of plastic-y and not paper so they didn't rip), arranged them on a piece of thick white paper, then stuck them down with regular Pritt stick.
I had an old picture frame which I had attempted a white paint respray on a few months back. What can go wrong: If you are not careful and patient when spray painting things they can go a bit bubbly and lumpy, like this:
Not to worry, that can be easily covered up with Washi tape! Since my birthday I now have 8 rolls to choose from - whoop whoop! These are my red/white options.
red washi tape
I stuck the Washi tape over the frame, cutting the corners into a mitre with my craft knife. I just did my best attempt at pattern matching.
It covered the bumpy paint no problem:
Next I laid the glass from the frame over the labels on the paper and drew round it.
I just cut it out, popped it in the frame and I was done.
Share a Coke With label picture
It now hangs in the kitchen next to our awesome tractor calender (guess who went calender shopping in January this year and found there was a very limited selection?!)
The red and white doesn't really match the lilac walls but I kind of like it anyway. Maybe next time we decorate the kitchen it can be red. Did I mention I like red?!
They'd be a fun thing to put on a bedroom door too, or label a folder for school. Next time we get some I might try laminating them, see how that turns out. They are plastic so it might not work, if I experiment I'll let you know - nothing ventured and all that.
If you made something fab out of your Share a Coke with bottle do tell us about it in the comments below.
You might also be interested in:
Patchwork Gift Box
Patchwork Gift Box
Specimen Butterfly Art
Specimen Butterfly art
Personalised Wedding Picture
Personalised Wedding Picture
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
Simple Speech Bubble Cards
I'll be linking up this project at all these lovely link parties, pop over for a look at loads of projects from other blogs
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

32 comments:

  1. This is so neat! I've never seen labels with names on them. Thanks for sharing with Creative Spark Link Party. Sharing on facebook today and pinning.
    Glenna @ My Paper Craze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now see the idea is coming to the US this year, so you'll probably start seeing them in the shops. I wonder if it will such a "thing" as it was here last year. People (and by people I mean kids/teenagers mostly) went nuts for them, facebook was covered in photos of people holding pop bottles with their name!

      Delete
  2. What a clever idea, and it looks really striking too. I just threw mine away...but since the labels are back again at the moment I might have to look for ones with our names on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy, Apparently there are even more names available this year. I know lots of people collected them, put them on facebook, then it was "ok what do we do know, just bin them?" Typical me, I just couldn't bring myself to chuck them out - I had spent so long looking for a "CARLA" !

      Delete
  3. My dad would love your tractor calendar :-). What a fun idea - the washi tape really complements the labels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to love my calender now, and have even added a tiny little Tardis on each page, now we can play "hunt the Tardis" as well as admiring the gorgeous tractors!

      Delete
  4. Great idea , I to collected the family names but have not used them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Wish we had those over here. I would love to make such for my family. This is so nice If you get a chance I'd love if you could link this up on My Favorite Things: http://timeforseason.blogspot.com/2014/06/my-favorite-things-saturdays-628.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Try again, I was looking for a link to what countries it's in but posted some sort of rubbish first!
      It's been in Australia and is coming to the US this year http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/summer-of-sharing-share-a-coke-campaign-rolls-out-in-the-us
      and this is our 2nd year here in the UK (apparently we love our personalised fizzy pop bottles here!) I'm not sure where you are but maybe you'll suddenly start seeing them in the shops.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea. I think a lot of people found their own names, but then probably didn't know what to do with the bottles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me, wanting to do something fun with them but no idea what for quite some time!

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic idea! I have bottles for me and my husband, my husband's was specially printed as he has an unusual name so I really want to have it on display, thanks for the inspiration! #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you could get them specially printed, my husband has an unusual name too, that's why I've just got the kids names here. I'll have to look into it. Thanks

      Delete
  8. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing with us at #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute. I've just checked the website and they have my name this year! Yay #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoop whoop, hooray - now you just have to find it in the shops!

      Delete
  10. What a great idea! I just recently saw a commercial with these in the US and wondered what it was. Now I know. I'll be on the lookout for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so fun! I love these bottles I have yet to find a Michelle. Thank you so much for stopping by last weeks Creative Spark Link Party! I hope you stop by to link up again this week! http://bit.ly/1vvIGjo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, that's the problem isn't it, every name except the one you want! Bit like school trousers in the last week of August, every size except the one you are looking for! (actually I think only UK people will get that - school starts back 1st week of sept and almost all schools here have uniform. Some of us leave things to the last minute occasionally!)

      Delete
  12. Julie, this is SO cool! I don't think we had these labels in the USA - and if we did, I'm bummed I missed them! (Although I doubt there would have been a "Breighanne" label - ha!). Such a cute way to display them - I'm glad you saved them. Thanks for linking at On Display Thursday - we are so glad to have you! - Bre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, maybe Breighanne is unlikely, but you might find a Bre! They are coming to the US this summer, I popped the link about it in a comment above. I think they have a website where you can look up what names are available too so you don't spend hours looking for one that doesn't exist.

      Delete
  13. Looks great! Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links on Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea! I have seen the coke bottles with the names on them but yet to have gotten any with my family's names on them. Love your cute idea!
    Kim "This Ole Mom"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, good luck scouring the shelves for the names you want - it's a great feeling when you find them though!

      Delete
  15. I literally just saw a commercial today with names on it today. I wasn't paying much attention but I think it made their way to the states this week! I think what you did was beautiful. I'd probably do the same. I need some of that tape though! It's definitely missing from my craft closet. Thanks for sharing with Creative Style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great marketing campaign, someone had a clever idea!
      And Washi tape - oooohhh yeeessss, everybody needs a few rolls of that in their craft supplies - I love it!

      Delete
  16. This is such a cool, fun idea, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the washi tape added to the frame! We hope to see you again at the Be.You.Tiful Link Party :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is absolutely brilliant. What a great way to keep the names safe but also a great addition to your kitchen.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cute and vintage-y looking this is! I love it! Very nice work and thanks for linking up at DIY Wall Art Hop and Linky Party. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.