Monday 11 November 2013

Crocheted Owl Brooch

Before I start I just want to make it very clear - this is not my pattern, it comes from Repeat Crafter Me. I have just used their pattern in a different way, which you might like to try.

I found and pinned this owl granny square crochet pattern from Repeat Crafter Me a while ago on my "Things I want to make one day" board. Its just SOOOO Cute. 
I'm in the middle of making a cushion cover using the pattern. I was finding picking up the stitches on the back of the Owl a bit fiddly, so I was using a much smaller hook, which worked a treat. But then I got distracted - I was holding the smaller hook and looking at the pattern and next thing I knew I'd made this little cutie! 

Do you want to make one? (why wouldn't you - he's so cute)
Follow Sarah's pattern from Repeat Crafter Me from here until you've made the Owl but use a hook that's much too small. My wool is DK (worsted) and hook 3mm.
Once I had sewed the eyes on (I used beads for middles as I didn't have buttons small enough) and embroidered the beak & feet, the back was looking a bit messy.

I followed the pattern again, in one colour up the the point where you would start the ears. So I had a little circle the same size as my owl.

I just stitched the two pieces together  making sure all the messy ends were tucked in. I only caught the back of the edge stitches from the actual owl so I wouldn't spoil the look of the front and made my stitches as little and neat as I could.
To finish I stitched on a pin. I happened to have this one in my sewing box (I think it dropped off something else, have I mentioned that I never throw anything away!) A regular safety pin would work just as well.


You might also be interested in:
Granny Squarre Scarf Tutorial
Granny Square Scarf Tutorial
Diamond Stitch crochet baby blanket
Diamond stitch crochet baby blanket
Harry Potter Scarf Pattern
Harry Potter Scarf Pattern
Owl Granny Square Cushion Cover
Owl Granny Square Cushion Cover
I'll be linking up to all these great link parties, why not go and have a look!

Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

21 comments:

  1. i love this owl pin you did a great job make this! I saw it on craft o maniac. Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. your itty bitty owl is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your owl is super cute! I just started dabbling into crochet amigurumi patterns which also require a really, really small hook. I love the tight stitch it makes and how the yarn really binds to itself to make a completely gapless design. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look and feel of amigurumi, can be a bit fiddly though but worth it.

      Delete
  4. Even though its not an official collaboration, it's nice to see crafters building off of other's ideas :) I think this little pin is adorable and I know a lot of friends who will be receiving one for Christmas! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing all the amazing ideas on other craft blogs - it's so inspiring. But I do think it's important to give credit where it is due, which I hope I have done properly here. Repeat Crafter Me is a lovely site with lots of beautiful crochet patterns, I hope everyone pops over to have a look.
      I've given this little fella away as a present already and plan to make a few more soon. They are perfect when you just want to give a little something.

      Delete
  5. love, love, LOVE this! Can't wait to give it a go! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your owl brooch is lovely and the way you've added the back is so clever. Hope we get to see the finished cushion cover. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will show the cushion cover when it's done. My problem is that I get distracted with new ideas so sometimes it's hard to actually finish things. I must get it done for Christmas, it's going to be one of my daughter's presents (It's OK, she knows, I'm not spoiling the surprise here!)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It's lovely that they have made such a come back! And it's so easy to crochet round things - it's like crochet was invented to make owls!

      Delete
  8. What a sweetie, a fabulous fun make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was featured on Craft Frenzy Friday this week! Come check it out and link up again! http://craftdictator.com/2013/11/21/craft-frenzy-friday-14/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cara, I really feels amazing when I see my projects featured. It's a real boost to know people like what I have to share.

      Delete
  10. I am making Bookmarks right now, and have been looking for a tiny owl pattern . . . this little guy is PERFECT! Thank YOU!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.