Monday 1 August 2016

Crochet Flower Gift Wrap and a Romantic Papercut

I learnt to crochet years ago especially so I could make flowers! 
Crochet flowers for gift wrapping
Fortunately I discovered you can crochet all sorts of other things but sometimes I still like to rustle up a heap of crocheted flowers.
heap of crochet flowers
This lovely free crochet flower pattern comes from Annemarie's HaakBlog. These flowers are so quick and easy, each one takes about 10 minutes. You make them with just 3 rounds and then the middle petals are turned in through the centre hole which makes them sit forward nicely.
I've made mine with DMC Natura Medium yarn which is a lovely soft cotton that is an equivalent to an aran weight I think and I used a 4mm hook. 
My flowers have ended up approx 5cm or 2" in diameter.
This is another fabulous stash buster project, you can just use up whatever little bits you have left over from other projects.

I am planning to make a flower garland like the one on Annemarie's lovely blog but I needed a pretty pastel gift wrap idea for a wedding gift. We are having a summer of weddings this year, 4 in all! (I've been sharing bit from all these weddings over on Instagram and trying REALLY hard not to overdo it!). This was for wedding no.1 and the bride is a person who enjoys all sorts of crafts so I knew she would appreciate some crochet flowers (Is it bad that I wouldn't waste them on someone who wouldn't appreciate them???!)
I made them in the same way as the pattern but left a long tail at the beginning and again at the end, about 25" or so. You would have to vary that depending on the size of the gift.
Crochet flowers ready for gift wrap
When you finish one of these flowers the ends are both in pretty much the same place, the back looks like this:
To use these for gift wrapping I wanted the flowers to lay flat and the ends to be opposite each other, so I simply threaded one end onto a needle and through some of the loops on the back like so:
Then it was just a case of wrapping them twice round the wrapped gift and securing each one in a bow on the back. I did these one at a time, the ends are pretty long and it would be easy to get in a tangle it you tried to do them all at once!
Crochet flowers used or gift wrap
Photo credit C Nyanyo
We gave a jar of sweets too with a roll of card in the middle with money inside (which was the proper present) so to co-ordinate everything I added a flower to the jar too.
Crochet flowers used for gift wrap sweets in a jar
Photo credit C Nyanyo
The original idea of the sweets and roll of cash is one I saw on pinterest here years ago.
Crochet flowers for gift wrapping
Photo credit C Nyanyo
The card is just a little doodled thing inspired by several pretty doodles and designs l've pinned recently.
Crochet flowers used in gift wrapping
Photo credit C Nyanyo
The gift wrap paper I used was just white tissue paper so it has creased a little at the edges, if I were doing this again I would try to find a thicker, crisp wrapping paper.
The present inside was this papercut. 
Home is wherever I'm with you papercut
Anyone who follows on Instagram will have had a sneaky peek of this already. It's the bride and groom's favourite line from the song "Home" by Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros, with their initials and the wedding date tucked in at the bottom.
papercut wedding gift
It's not perfect by any means but it was made with love.
This wedding had so much prettiness going on, with a pastel colour scheme which I'd tried to match with the crochet flowers and sweets. So I'll finish with just a tiny glimpse of some of the loveliness from the day:

 
I'll be sharing over at these Link Parties
You might also be interested in:
Rainbow Heart Garland
Rainbow Heart Garland
12 Ideas for Novelty Yarns
12 ideas for novelty yarns
Personalised Wedding Picture
Personalised Wedding Picture
Papercut Quotes
Papercut quotes
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Julie, your flowers are gorgeous! I love the colors you used, it makes me want to make the flowers again. :-) Thanks a lot for adding a link to my blog. Have a lovely day! All the best, Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annemarie, I'm so happy that you approve. that means a lot :-)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely gift ! I saw the flowers on ig they were lovely , might make some I feel the need to get some crochet in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little flowers are so pretty and they make the most lovely gift wrap I've ever seen #TheRealCraftyLinkParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, thanks. I am trying to put more effort into wrapping things nicely these days. i used to think it was just the inside that matters but actually when you are given something beautifully wrapped it does make you feel special.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures! Great idea, using crochet flowers for gift wrapping. Perfect to get rid of leftovers!
    Happy crocheting,
    Marjan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great way to use up these little bits of yarn that hang about at the bottom of your project bag.

      Delete
  5. Hi Julie, What a wonderful gift idea! Love the crocheted flowers & I agree I wouldn't waste them on someone with no appreciation for handmade crochet! Well done! Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me! I don't want to be mean but.....

      Delete
  6. That's just so pretty, thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again, just a quick note to let you know that I’ve featured this post today on The Really Crafty Link Party Features. Come and grab an “I was featured” button and browse around for the other features here: http://keepingitrreal.blogspot.com.es/2016/08/the-really-crafty-link-party-30-featured-posts.html. Congratulations!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Teresa, that's such a lovely surprise :-)

      Delete
  7. These flowers are all so pretty and using them for gift wrapping is such a wonderful idea. Pinning. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet way to use crocheted flowers. Your little flowers are so pretty and would make a lovey garland. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle Create, Bake, & Make party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a nice idea to add the crochet flowers to a gift! And your papercut is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing :)
    Congratulations! You are one of my features :)
    Joanita @ Snickerdoodle Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm so pleased you like them :-)

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful gift, and wrapping. I admire anyone you can do papercuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love papercutting, it is so magically as you do all the cutting on the wrong side. When you turn it over it looks so much better. It's a bit time-consuming but not difficult and all you need to buy is a good knife.

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful present, you have put so much thought and time into it:) I'm pinning (still working on learning crochet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These flowers are perfect for a beginner! They are so quick which means almost instant gratification, and use only basic stitches. You are so creative, I'm sure you will master it in no time.

      Delete
  12. What a thoughtful gift and beautiful wrapping too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful idea of making gift wrap. I have also another use of such flowers which I will be posting soon on my blog, Alka and Arts. Please visit my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.