Tuesday 19 July 2016

Fuller Scarf Trick

Here's a simple trick to turn a thin and slightly limp scarf into something much fuller and easier to wear.
Turn an old thin scarf to fuller infinity scarf
I love this scarf, I love polka dots and I love bright colours.
With all those colours it goes with pretty much everything and it was a gift from one of the kids.
It's a really fine fabric though and over time it's just got a bit straggly and limp.
fine scarf before refashion
It's also a bit short to do any knots or clever wrapping round that I see on pinterest but rarely do. 

First I tried just joining the short ends to turn it into an infinity scarf, but the fineness of the fabric meant it just didn't work.
Turning an existing scarf into an infinity scarf is not a new idea, I even did a tutorial here in 2013 in my 2nd month of blogging. This was pretty much the same, with just a minor joining the ends difference.
Technically this counts as another Sewing my Stash project as I found the off cuts from some IKEA sheer cotton curtains in my stash. I just happened to have a long thin length which was perfect.
I pressed my lovely spotty scarf with the iron, just so I could measure how big it is, then cut a piece of sheer fabric exactly the same size.

I whizzed round 3 sides on the sewing machine, leaving a short side open, then turned it right side out.
I gave the seams a gently press with the iron just to flatten it a bit.
At this point you could fold the raw edges on that final short side under, stitch and you would be good to go with a fuller scarf.
Because of this one being that in-betweeny length I decided to join the short ends and make it an infinity scarf. 
I turned those raw edges under then pinned them on top of the other short edge.
That way when I stitched along that edge I was hemming the open end and joining the scarf with just one line of stitching.
Turn an old thin scarf to fuller infinity scarf
And here it is, much easier to just bung on and MUCH fuller. I've actually had people say "love your scarf" since I did this - bonus! I wore this as part of Me Made May 2016 too so if you follow on Instagram you will have seen this already a few months ago.
fuller scarf quick sew trick
It's perfect for the cooler summer days that we seem to have a lot of here in the UK. We are still waiting for the proper summer to start!
P.S. I should comment on the weather more often, since I wrote that last sentence summer began in ernest here - we've had a couple of scorchers and I'm quite happy to not need my nice full scarf for a few days after all! 
You might also be interested in:
Infinity Loop Scarf
Infinity Loop Scarf
Check and Lace Shirt Refashion
Check and Lace Shirt Refashion
Tea Towel Tote Tutorial
Tea Towel Tote Tutorial
Too tight at the hem top fix
Too tight at the hem top fix
I'll be linking up at some of these great link parties.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

22 comments:

  1. Brilliant. So simple and so effective. Thanks K xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wakeymakes, it was super simple and I'm definitely getting much more wear out of it now.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely idea. I hate when those scarves you love become wrinkly and limp - what a great tutorial!
    ~Jess
    #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess, I'm pleased to have been able to give it a new lease of life.

      Delete
  3. This is such a genius idea. Thank you for sharing with us at #HomeMattersParty. We would love to have you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is a wonderful idea! It looks great. Thanks for sharing your tutorial with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday. Pinned and Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely isn't it. I love colour and I love polka dots so it's perfect for me! Thats why I really wanted to make it more wearable again :-)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful idea and looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever makeover. Looks much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief that you all don't think it was better before!!!

      Delete
  8. what a genius idea and what a difference xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, and the best thing, it was just using up my stash!

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, this is a great idea. It look lovely!!

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea and it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's certainly a lot easier just to bung on in the mornings now!

      Delete
  11. Love this!! I have some cute thin scarves (from Dollar Tree) that this would work perfectly for! PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a clever and inexpensive idea. I've got a couple of cute scarves that I've been scratching my head over - maybe this is something that would work for them also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your DIY! Thanks for sharing at the #InspirationSpotlight Pinned & Shared

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.