Wednesday 29 June 2016

Lace Cut Off Jean Shorts

Make your upcycled denim jean cut offs a bit fancy with a little lace.
Make your ownLace Trimmed Cut Off Jean Shorts

A super easy upcycle for today.
Cut off's have to be the original clothing refashion idea.
  • Take a pair of Jeans
  • Cut the legs off to make shorts!
This year I've given my new summer cut offs a little lace edging to make them a tiny bit fancy!

It is really easy, I whizzed mine on the sewing machine but you could hand stitch although it would take a little longer.
You need a pair of old jeans that still fit round the waist/hips and some lace. 
Make your ownLace Trimmed Cut Off Jean Shorts
I cut mine off and then took the photo. Try to imagine a pair of jeans - have you done that? Good, because that's what they looked like!

I cut these off pretty much the length I wanted my finished shorts to be. They measured approx 3" from the crotch seam to the cut off edge.
You can make your shorts any length you like.

Turn up a hem on the inside (this is optional, I'm just sharing what I did) and pin the lace to the right side of the leg holes so it overlaps slightly. 
Make your ownLace Trimmed Cut Off Jean Shorts
You loose a little length by turning them hem but then gain it again with the extra lace.
Stitch round where you have pinned, I found if you match you thread to the lace you can hardly see the stitches at all.

I had a little lace left over so I stitched a short length to the top of the pocket too.
Make your ownLace Trimmed Cut Off Jean Shorts
That's it, slightly posh cut off's!
Make your ownLace Trimmed Cut Off Jean Shorts
Now I am only sharing this next photo so you can see the length of my shorts to give you an idea of how yours could look.
This is a real life untouched photo of my bare legs, I'm feeling very exposed showing this! You can even see that the mirror really needs a clean if you look closely - don't look closely, just scroll on please. 
Make your ownLace Trimmed Cut Off Jean Shorts
I'm planning to wear my lace trimmed cut off jean shorts on holiday this year as following a pretty lovely May, the weather here is not conducive to shorts right now. It's June and this morning the heating came on and at about 3.30pm today the weather was doing this:
Something to do with Glastonbury and Wimbledon I guess, nothing guaranteed to make it rain in the UK more than outdoor events!


Make your ownLace Trimmed Cut Off Jean Shorts
The best thing about this project was that a couple of days after I finished them I popped into town to do some shopping and found several very "trendy young people's shops" with shorts just like these in the window. Apparently this is very on trend..and there was me just thinking it was pretty!
You might also be interested in:
Fabric Trimmed Cardigan Refashion
Fabric Trimmed cardigan Refashion
Stripe T Shirt with Floral Trim
Stripe T Shirt with Floral Trim
Check and lace shirt refashion
Check and lace shirt refashion
Too tight at the top hem fix
Too tight at the hem top fix
I'll be linking up to all these great link parties, why not go and have a look!
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

17 comments:

  1. Denim and lace are perfect together! A great way to finish off the shorts, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, the blue and white is a perfect combo isn't it? I'm just looking forward to a bit of sun so I can actually wear them now!

      Delete
  2. Julie these are aadorable. I think I'm going to share this with my teens, I know they would also like something like this. The perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lace and denim is always great together isn't it Mary? My trip to town did show me this is trendy enough for teens, I'm going to ask my daughter if she'd like a bit of lace on any of her cut offs now. But we would have not wear them on different days...can't do mother and daughter matching outfits!

      Delete
  3. I love them. I really must try this. I bet the new ones were really expensive. Yours are so original and look amazing! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, it was a super quick refashion.
      I don't mean to brag but a well known high street shop has something similar for £39.99 so I am feeling pretty pleased with myself right now!!

      Delete
  4. These are great, love the lace around them :) I need to cut a few of my jeans down to shorts..

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a super quick and easy diy project - it's kind of rude not to really!

      Delete
  5. Such a good way to upcycle some old jeans! My legs rarely see the sun as I usually find it's not warm enough to not wear leggings, but I might add some lace to the pockets of some jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can probably tell my legs don't see much sun either but I am looking forward to wearing them on holiday.
      Lace on just regular jeans is a great idea, I do love the denim and lace combo.

      Delete
  6. They are beautiful, such a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I've been doing something similar to my daughter's pants when they get too short - I turn them into shorts and add something to hide the hem and to embellish them. Maybe now I have to make some for me too...

    Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do it! Pretty shorts are not just for the kids!

      Delete
  8. Super cute! thanks for sharing on Create LInk Inspire party! I'm sharing on my Fb page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Emily, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  9. These are so cute!! What a great idea!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to dress up denim! Thank you for sharing this project at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.