Thursday 27 November 2014

Sequin Christmas Trees

How to make mini Sequined Christmas Trees
Looking for a quick, cheap and easy Christmas Decoration idea? I've made these little sequin Christmas trees to go on our mantelpiece this year with things we already had making my total cost £0 -  Absolute bargain! (Even if you have to buy a few bits to try them, nothing needed is expensive)

This is what you need:

  • Sequins
  • Mod Podge or PVA
  • Acetate (mine is from this pad of fairly thin acetate from back in the day - who remembers overhead projectors? You could use any clear plastic, even old packaging will work I think)
  • Scissors
  • Paint brush
  • Glue Gun
  • Scrap paper
  • Compass (for drawing a circle not finding your way north!)
Cut a quarter circle template from scrap paper.
The radius of the circle will be pretty much the height of the finished tree. For the smaller trees mine was 14cm and for the larger one 21cm.
Then use the paper template to cut the shape from the acetate. I just held the paper underneath and cut round it. I didn't have anything that would write on the acetate and didn't want marks on it anyway. Turns out acetate is slightly difficult to photograph, what with it being clear and all!

Roll the acetate into a cone shape and give the top a little squidge just to help it hold it's shape.
Now glue down the long edge with the glue gun and press to form the cone. There will be an overlap, mine was about an inch.
This is a little bit of a fiddle, you have to be pretty quick as the glue sets quite rapidly. That's why I found rolling the cone first, squiding the top etc made it much easier. Some of my cones were prettier than others but it doesn't have to be perfect, it's all about to get covered up anyway. 
acetate cone to make a Christmas tree

The most important thing is that the bottom is flat so the tree stands nicely, if your doesn't you can trim it with scissors at this stage.

Now the fun bit. Paint a good thick layer of Mod Podge, I found it easier to do a section at a time.
Then sprinkle with sequins.
mod podge and sequins tree
Keep glueing and sprinkling over the whole tree.
Use Mod Podge to make a Christmas tree
Leave it to dry, it takes a couple of hours. Give it a gentle shake to get rid of any loose sequins, then you can fill in any gaps that bother you with a dab of glue and an extra sequin or two.
DIY mini Christmas tree
They are much more sparkly than I was able to catch in a photo. That little green flare was just good luck, I didn't add it on afterwards! 
how to make a sequin Christmas tree
They catch the light beautifully and are really shimmery.
Make a sparkly mini Christmas tree
The acetate is flexible so these little trees are not going to last forever. If you squish them, sit on them or the dog gets hold of them a sequins or two will drop off.
make mini Christmas Trees with sequins
However if you put them away carefully in January I think you could get a few years out of them no problem. Ideal if you are one of those people who has a different colour scheme every few years!
make mini Christmas trees that sparkle
I was thinking tiny little seed beads might work too, instead of the sequins. I think buttons would be too heavy, but to be honest the super sparkliness of these sequins is so lovely I've not ended up trying anything else.
You might also be interested in:
Knitted Mini Christmas Tree
Knitted Mini Christmas Tree
Scrabble Christmas Sign
Christmas Scrabble Sign
Gift Boxes from old cards
Gift Boxes from Old Cards
Christmas Pudding Chocolate Buttons
Christmas Pudding Chocolate Buttons
I'll be linking up at all these great link parties, pop over and have a little look round at all the lovely ideas.
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

32 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! These are fab! I love them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these are gorgeous, and so simple - I might get my little boy to help too.
    Thanks
    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be great to do with the kids, you'd have to get the comes ready but the sequin sprinkling is loads of fun and not quite as messy as glitter!

      Delete
  3. What a cute idea!
    I just love how sequin reflect light- looks so festive :)

    I would love if you share your trees with my Big Christmas Link Party ! :)
    http://milaslittlethings.com/2014/11/big-christmas-link-party.html

    xx
    Mila
    milaslittlethings.com
    milawayable@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up! Have a happy New Year :)

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea. I'm sure I have all the supplies needed somewhere here in my home. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very pretty and sparkly, love how they look, the clear under sequins. This is great decoration and cheap. I have some acetate from years ago, might need to get some sequins but do have some little bits of holiday sparkly confetti daughter gave me just today. Think will try that for a first attempt, use it to decorate house. Glad I clicked on your post on Bewitchin' project party. Trying to get things made for craft show. Show is on 12/13 but is juried so have to have photos, etc to board by tomorrow. Just found out about show a week ago. Been making holiday items to sell. Have signs, things like that to sell but needed some holiday items also. Daughter came over late this afternoon take photos for me to email to person in charge of show. Hope we get in.
    Happy week and season. Great post, pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the show, sound exciting. I guess the good thing about them being juried is you know the standard will be really high.
      I have a whole pad of this old acetate so I'm pleased to have found a use for a sheet or two, I'll have to think of some more ways to use it up!

      Delete
  6. I love this idea, so pretty! Thanks so much for linking up to The Pretty Pintastic Party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look lovely. Wonder if they would work with a (battery) tea light under them!! I have all the ingredients. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder that Mrs A, I don't have any right now to try it out but I will get some and give it a go. I guess it depends if they get warm at all, I'll update once I've done some tests!

      Delete
  8. Simple and sparkly. I bet if you put a little led light inside it would sparkle and glow beautifully!! Thank you. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty. We just made cone trees too, but used poster board and garlands. I'll definitely be making some sparkling ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erlene, there are so many beautiful ideas around to make little cone trees, I love them, they seem so modern but it's such a simple shape they are easy to make.

      Delete
  10. Great idea! Pinned! & .....Thanks for sharing at the party @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are absolutely beautiful Julie! Thank you for sharing at #Pintorials this week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh la la! I LOVE these. The simplest ideas are always the best. I'll definitely be pinning this on my Christmas board. Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! Trees look beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for posting to Motivation Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are so cute! i am all about anything with sequins :) pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how cute this turned out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What cute & easy accent piece. Thanks for sharing on Tuned in Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I love a little glitz in my Christmas decor. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! These are so pretty and sparkly, with is always a good thing! Thanks so much for sharing them at On Display Thursday! We hope to see you again tonight at 9 pm central! www.thedomesticheart.com/display-thursday-23

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sequins look fabulous. I wonder if just covering it all with glitter would look good too? These trees could also make a cute place to hide Christmas goodies for the kids each morning! Thanks for the tutorial. And your pictures are great quality! Nice bit of luck on the green flare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think glitter would work too, you could make a whole forest for next to nothing! I might give that a try next year!

      Delete
  21. Love these, I didn't think of doing sequins on the ones I tried, so might try this version. #sitsgirls

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sooo adorable! This is a must try...

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is so cute and easy to follow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.