Thursday 1 January 2015

Gift Tags for Free

This might seem a teensie bit unseasonal at first glance - making Christmas Gift tags in January but bear with me, there is method in my madness!
Are you de-Christmassing your house about now? If so, this is when you need to be making next years gift tags.
turn old cards into gift tags

When I was a kid we always made gift tags from last years cards. To be honest I thought everyone did, I must have been about 10 before I realised you could actually pay money for gift tags in the shops!
Back in the day my mum would give us the pinking shears, a pile of last years cards and let us get on with it. So our gift tags would look like this:
Nowadays I aim for something more like this:

As you take down your cards look for suitable one for re purposing. It's a bit sad but even as cards arrive in our house I am eyeing them up to see how I can reuse them later. 
These are the ones we had this year that I thought had most potential.

This is so easy I'm almost embarrassed to be explaining it. Just chop them up to make nice gift cards!
The easiest kind is the modern looking "all over design" style cards like this one.
All this needs is cutting into 4. I have a lovely little corner rounder which adds a nice finish, but it's ok to have square corners too! Then just punch a hole in the corner for ribbon with your normal, bog standard hole punch.

This type of card with a simple design or two is also ideal.
Just chop it in half, trim it so the images are more central and round the corners if you can.

Do watch the back of the cards, check them first before you get too far. I thought this mini card was ideal just as it was...
...until I saw the sellotape marks on the inside!

And this beautiful card with the stag was going great...
until I saw the print inside...
This one was ok in the end, just a slightly smaller tag than I had originally planned!

I made 18 tags from 8 cards in the end, completely free and taking about 15 minutes of my time.
make gift tags from your old cards
I used to keep the whole card and make tags every December but it's actually much easier to make them now and just pop them in an envelope with any left over wrapping paper. They take up very little space, just don't forget you have them next December!
turn old cards into gift tags

Here are 2014 presents, taken a couple of weeks ago. with tags I made last January. 
making gift tags from old cards

Do you reuse old cards for anything, find a way to save them from just going straight into the bin?

You might also be interested in:
Pillow Pouch from cardboard tube
Pillow Pouch from cardboard tube
Recycled Business Cards
Recycled Business Cards
Washi Tape Berry Boxes
Washi Tape Berry Boxes
Recycled Gift Wrap Ideas
Recycled Gift Wrap Ideas
I'll be linking up this project at all these lovely link parties, pop over for a look at loads of projects from other blogs
Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

16 comments:

  1. Making the tags now for next Christmas is a great plan! I love using cards for projects. They can sometimes make awesome artwork-just trim, mat and frame. I'm going to go through my cards tomorrow checking to see which ones can be used for tags. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most cards are too lovely just to throw away aren't they, it's nice to find lots of ways to reuse them.

      Delete
  2. Very smart, Julia! Saves the mad rush for the next Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these are gorgeous! Never too early to craft for Christmas!

    ~Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes 11.5 months is just about long enough I think!

      Delete
  4. So I'm not the only one who recycles the cards? I love it!!! They are easy and beautiful and mean even more than the stick on kind!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, I almost didn't post this as I thought maybe everyone already does this!
      I can't bear it when you get to a relatives house and lift the presents out of the bag only to find all the tags have dropped off!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is amazing and great idea of recycling! I never thought of that! Thank you for sharing it with us #Pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genius! I will be pinning this for next Christmas!

    And thanks so much for linking up with Our Mini Linky Party! I love having your support xo
    ~Cathy~
    OurMiniFamily.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting to Motivation Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was about to get my pinking shears out when I saw your corner rounder. I am going to have to get myself one. Thanks for sharing this.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pinking shears give a lovely retro look but I do love my corner punch - it's probably the punch I use way more than any other.

      Delete
  9. Ha, ha, I was just going to say you'd have to remember where you put them for the next Christmas. Fab idea, we used to make decorations out of our old cards, you used 20 circles and you fold each one to make a triangle, then join them all together to make a giant bauble. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely Suze, what a great idea. (and yes, it is fairly easy to make gift tags and then find your have misplaced them 11 months later!)

      Delete
  10. What a clever way to reuse old cards. And the new tags look great! Thanks for sharing with us at On Display Thursday, come again this week!
    -Leia @ Eat It & Say Yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a good recycle project! Thanks so much for linking up at the Totally Terrific Tuesday Link Party. I hope you stop by again tonight at 10pm to show up what you've been up to this week. It's so much for partying with you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.